Well I measure everything that I map in an hourly rate, though I may vary what that hourly rate is, though its definitely no less than $20 / hour (which I still feel is very poor for what my talent is worth.) So generally I don't create maps that are less than $30, sometimes going as high as $150 - still I should be earning $500 a map, but nobody is going to pay me that.

Which is a great part of the reason I am going forward as a publisher rather than a cartographer. Doing that isn't obvious track even for a cartographer. I also happen to have skills in writing, editing, page layout, graphic design, and to a much lesser degree: game development, in addition to the skills to be a commercial cartographer. Only because of these additional talents do I even feel qualified to try to be a publisher.

Finally because I am digital printer is why I became Gamer Printshop in the first place. I have the equipment, supplies and training to create large format map graphics. Combining this idea with knowledge gained in working the industry, I am soon to be operating as Free RPG Maps.com dedicated to producing monthly Map Tile sets.

Believe me, while I love creating maps, I need substantially more money to continue in this career choice, so I expand my horizons by being a publisher and digital printer, in addition to being a cartographer. Its the niche that will pay best, while primarily working as a fantasy cartographer.

GP