Thread: Ukiyo-e styled maps - my own challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post at last a reference...

Ever on my quest to find resource material for creating Ukiyo-e map objects, I decided to dig through the piles of books at my mom's house and low and behold - I discovered that which I had not thought existed...

A ukiyo-e map by Hokusai created around 1830 (towards the end of his life). This map in many ways is similar to style and angle of the kind of maps and style I wanted to create.

This is "Map of Shiogama and Matsushima at Oshu". The second image is a closeup near top center - large town area and peninsular tip, showing the detailing I'm really going for. This was a rare find - exactly what I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiogama.jpg 
Views:	1887 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	2140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiogama-closeup.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	659.4 KB 
ID:	2141  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Great news! I'm so happy that you are continuing with your project. I have a couple of Ukioye books at home, I'll take a look at them and see if I can find anything of interest and if so scan them for you. Also check out the Japanese Historical Map website if you have not already - it may have more useful references.