D6 are a little boring to look at but they'd be fine with me as the basis of a gaming system. I think you're incorrect, however, in your assumption that they're any more "fair" than any other die (at least those with equally sized faces). The chance of any given number from 1 through 6 coming up on a 6-sided die is 1 in 6. The same is true of any other die (i.e. 1:4 on d4, 1:8 on d8, 1:10 on d10, 1:12 on d12, 1:20 on d20, yadda). Are you talking about rolling multiple dice (e.g. 3d6) to generate a bell curve?

As to the particulars of a new system I can't say that I have any input. I'm a fan of generic systems (and GURPS solves that problem for me nicely) but like the occasional niche system that seems nicely tied to a particular setting (Deadlands use of cards and chips, for instance). I just purchased the 4th edition of Legend of the Five Rings (haven't played it yet, maybe ever) and do sort of like what they've done there with the roll-keep system...sort of makes sense to me. D20 is fine with me for playing over-the-top fantasy games such as D&D but I don't really dig it for much else because of the insane power curve.
M