Thread: [GIMP] Pits, Water, Stairs, and Firelight in Dungeon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't worry those are minor issues. Here I go then answering.

The pits are fairly easy to do. Take your freehand selection tool and draw the general form of the pit you want to make. Perform a distort on the selection (Select -> Distort) use the default settings, they usually produce good results you can change and experiment here if you want a more jagged edge. Add a layer and fill this selection on that layer to keep track of the form. Erase from the layer holding your cavern floor, refill the temporary layer with another texture more rough and of the same colour palette as the current floor you are using but noticeably different to act as the wall of the pit. Create a new layer and add a spherical shaped foreground to background blend using black to white the default FG and BG colours. Set this layer above the texture you chose to replace then the set the layers mode to Hard Light. Reselect the are you've used the blend on and fill it with 10-20% opacity black fill until you have the desired amount of wall showing usually three fills is sufficient. Now you want to have a pronounced edge around the pit top it all off. Add another later position this above all the other layers and your cave floor layer. Select the area for the pit from lower layers and on the new layer grow it by 2 px. (Selection -> Grow) Fill this new enlarged area with black re-select the lower pit area and re change to the recently filled black layer and delete the selection. You should now have a 2 px wide line surrounding the edge of the pit. Apply a Gaussian blur of 2 px on this layer and set the mode to Overlay. This should produce a reasonably good pit. Included a snapshot of cave battlemap I fool around with to show the end result. If you want more screen shots or hints just ask. Once you got it down ill tackle your second inquiry but I won't until you have something your happy with for your pit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon Cave.jpg 
Views:	1529 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	31009  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.