Thread: WIP - Classic Styled World Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I felt like I had to get something done even though a small part tonight. Here's the general layout of the four projections including the arctic/antarctic circles, tropics of Cancer/Capricorn and the equator. It should all be placed with the correct math I hope. The equator was my starting point for the layout at 30"/4500px across or 15"/2250px per hemisphere, meaning the map should be at a scale of ~1:8370000 based off the equator. I don't if the scale becomes inaccurate the further from the equator you get with this kind of equator but I have a suspicion it does. Seeing as I don't have the circumference of either circle I am unable to verify the scale. I then placed the cancers are at 23.44 degrees and the circles at 66.56 degrees respectfully and plotted where the arc would be found on its lowest point in the center of the projections. I determined these were at 73.96% the radius for the circles and 26.04% of the radius for the cancers, by dividing their appropriate angle by 90. Also calculated the length of the arc for the polar regions as being 920px. If someone could check my math I would be indebted to you. Let see if I can actually finish the work and not flounder on it for too long. Also note that I'm looking to have very little labels compared to many of the classic maps I see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	584.0 KB 
ID:	31020  
    Last edited by geamon; 11-19-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.