Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
Hey, look at that. I really shouldn't attempt to judge distances that early in the morning. (The sides are still oddly straight, looks more like a modern bulk carrier or container ship.) Exploring hull design is a very interesting subject.

As for the wheel, you have a the ship's wheel on a thin little stick. Most older ships would have had a larger structure that the wheel attaches to. (In sailing you can have some of the greatest stresses acting on the rudder and wheel.) I'm drawing a blank on the proper term, but I guess the closet modern term for the pillar the wheel attaches to would be console or something. This would often include things such as a gimballed compass, lights, and storage for other important navigational tools.
Good stuff, I'll at least beef that up. It does look a bit spindly And while I'm no shipwright I surely appreciate the effort on your part to respond and post something at all. Thank you for the help because as much of it as I can add to the project will make it that much better. Also, when I first did the sides, I sort of wondered but didn't worry about it too much....now that you brought it up though, it's bugging the heck outta me, LOL. I'll have to see if I can do something to put some bow into it.