Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A free (and awesome) 3D tool : Sculptris

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Praise

WOW I went and downloaded this and am pretty amazed.. Now I spent about 3 minutes just fooling around and came up with this... I can see me having a LATE night getting the hang of it..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green thing.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	31406
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Zbrush is supposed to be the daddy of these type apps and this sculptris was emulating that but had this neat automatic face subdivision which I thought was cool at the time. That might have the been the reason. I found sculptris easy to use but its like a set of pens or paint, its only as good as the sculptor but then at least your not fighting with the software. Blender has this built in too and thats pretty easy to use as well. Spoilt for choice now.

Guild Novice

The software developer for Sculptris who came up with alot of the base sculpting algorithims went to work for pixologic. Pixologic as a service to the open source community and probably with some prodding from the developer released it to the opensource community. Its actually the route I took to buying Zbrush 4 which is for good reasons a industry leading 3D sculpting package.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhacket View Post
    The software developer for Sculptris who came up with alot of the base sculpting algorithims went to work for pixologic. Pixologic as a service to the open source community and probably with some prodding from the developer released it to the opensource community. Its actually the route I took to buying Zbrush 4 which is for good reasons a industry leading 3D sculpting package.
    Are you sure about that? I don't see any indication of source code or an open license. Wikipedia lists it as being proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Are you sure about that? I don't see any indication of source code or an open license. Wikipedia lists it as being proprietary.
    Its freeware not open source software. I prefer blender myself
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

yeah, it's fairly common for a large industry leading company to look into OpenSource "side projects", it gets people interested in the genre, in many cases gets you "used to" a certian way of doing things, and gets the brand loyalty in there even when your not paying for anything... when/if you end up paying for a program, you're more likely to buy from them, cause your familiar with how they do things... it looks quite interesting.. i'm going to try it out when i get home
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12