Name:  shadows.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  29.1 KB
Haha, thanks Tilt.
And I see what you both mean about the shadows now.

So this is what I have so far. I think I'm having trouble with proportions, because the newer buildings seem a little big compared to what were supposed to be big buildings from the first draft. Other than that, I like where it's going. That open area to the right is going to be a park.
Do you think the roads are a good size compared to the buildings? I was thinking 1 pixel = 1 foot. So the roads being 14 pixels (I'll change that later to 15 pixels) makes a 14/15 ft road. But I haven't counted the pixels of the buildings. It looks okay to me, but what are everybody's opinions?

The city is near a desert, so it's a hot, dry place. I'll modify the grass to show that once I get to the fine details. I'm shooting for a ~2000 population. I've been using Medieval Demographics Made Easy as a guide, but I see this world being more advanced. Assuming 5 people per building (is that a low number? Maybe 10 instead?) and there are maybe 145 buildings (assuming I didn't count anything twice. lol) that would be 725 people so far.
I'm not sure about technology level, but I'm thinking near the Age of Sail (about 1700s or so), maybe with more Victorian architecture. I don't know. Maybe. Thoughts?

To the bottom left, the black building is the undertaker. And I was gonna put in a cemetery. How big do you think that should be?
The big white building near the river was supposed to be a library, but (and I guess this depends on technology level) I'm starting to think the town might be too small to have one. I'm not sure if I want to change it or now.

Also I was wondering if smoother looking roads would look better.

Well here's draft 2:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01Hawkhurst.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	966.4 KB 
ID:	31660