All right. I've completed the large cart roads for the entire city and the secondary roads for the old city. The dotted line around the edges of 9/10/etc is the old city wall. Parts of it are still standing. Other portions were torn down for roads, buildings, etc. Some parts of the wall are used as a fourth wall for buildings. One of the old gates is now a popular inn. Ward 5 has three important areas in it. The circle in the middle of it is where the castle stands. The castle is now used as the seat of government. All of the representatives have an office there. The upper left side of five is where the guilds keep their main offices (though many may have have additional offices elsewhere in the city). The area to the right is the main branch of the police and the petitioners' court, which serves as both a judicial court and forum for hearing citizens' complaints and ideas. The head judge brings the petitions that the judges have decided are worth the city's attention to the city council.

Unlike the outer wards, the inner wards work together in a more coherent city system. The outer wards are usually more like cities in miniature. (Note: The wards were first decided by the City Warden/Police Chief. The ward divided the city into wards in order to make the city police more efficient.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durndl_in_progress.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	31307

As for my excel workbook, I used the price given for a price of goods in 1480 Florence (http://www3.telus.net/Quattrocento_F...e/economy.html) to figure out how much my currency is worth. I don't how I came to the calculation, but I decided that three loaves of bread would equal the rough third of a pound of wheat used daily. Then, assuming the bread would consume the same percentage of the total cost in my currency as it did in Florentine Lire, I figured the cost of the bundle, a living wage, and some more. From that I was also able to convert between USD and my currency. Pointless and very roughly calculated, but still nice to know.

Anyway, my next task there is to figure out a tax system. I know I want the city to set a flat task for each ward based on its population. I also want the guilds to be responsible for an additional tax. They would be opposed to the tax on one hand, but would accept it also as a way to justify their presence on the council. There might also be a deal about importing fees. The individual wards would be allowed to charge an additional tax on top of what is required of them by the city. This money would be used to pay for ward needs/etc. Maybe.