Thread: Durndl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All right. I've made the backdrop for the city and I've sketched out the streets. I figured the main cart roads would be about 15 feet across, while the secondary streets would be half that. Smaller streets are not shown. The cart roads connect to the city gates and divide some of the wards. All of the first ten wards were divided by a cart road. Later on each ward is bordered on one side by one. Some of the secondary roads were done by the city's government; others were commissioned by the wards.

(For example, unless I change my mind, Ward 17 is actually a thriving merchant area, rather than a space for the poor. Many of the poor live in the older wards and where there are fewer larger roads (but numerous smaller ones).)

Since this is just a sketch, I can change the road sizes if I miscalculated. When I did them I did not have access to the net so I couldn't check average road width or cart sizes.

The image with the black background is to make everything easier to see. The numbers and red outlines refer to the wards. The wards are numbered in order of creation (with some fumbling among the first ten).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outlines.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	31250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smCity Sketch.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	31251

Right now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to cut out each ward and work on them one at a time, then piece them back together. (Each ward has its own police station and representative. Some representatives are chosen by lots to work on the governing body. Others are temporarily appointed to the Petitioner's court or else something I'm not sure of yet. Guilds have their own representatives. This system is based on/stolen from Renaissance Florence pre-Medici).
    Last edited by lisze; 12-06-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: forgot a note