Thread: Dungeon Nov issue maps Jared Blando

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks Aegeri, those are some good ideas, and i agree variety would be the key to having a nice map folio. Oh i'm not sure what do you mean by "useable IRL"?

I may be very interested in doing this...i was thinking i could even include a couple inch gridded maps (as double page spreads) along with the normal small gridded 8.5 x 11 encounter maps. so maybe 16 of the smaller maps Liek those above) and 4 1 inch grid double page spread maps at the end? Not sure if i should mix them but i'm thinking about it.

As for location seeds/ideas, i was thinking:
    Winding Caves with some treasure
    Forest path encounter with small cave nearby
    Mountain path encounter with a rock slide blocking part of it
    A river ford with barricades on one end
    A ruined tower with 3 levels
    A castle wall with ladders or possibly a breach
    A small villlage half ruined and half burning
    A big mansion, 2 stories
    A Large bush maze

...those are some, hit me up if you have anything you would like to see, i like to hear other stuff from people.
    ~J

Guild Journeyer

Sorry, when I refer to "IRL" it means "In real life". I run 2 virtual tabletop games and 1 with actual dice and such (dramatic I know). So I always carefully distinguish between the purposes I need maps for.

I was thinking in maps:

An icy fortress/mansion (Say a capricious winter fey has frozen the household of a baron logging a forest of theirs).
    A Wizards workshop with a normal upper floor posh kind of home, but a hidden basement level where he's had an "accident" summoning something. This would be a bit like the map you did in the OP with the magic circle, except in a largish basement type area and the circle is broken. I can think of hundreds of uses for such a map.
    A tower built into the frozen side of a mountain (alternative, a tower built into a volcano!)
    You can never go wrong with any kind of wizard tower (like the one you suggested), buildings, castle keep walls and similar.
    Wilderness encounters in wastelands/fields - Believe it or not many maps "Wilderness" encounter tends to be a forest. You don't want a forest all the time. The cart example in the OP is a rare "field" sort of traveling encounter. It's surprisingly hard to find encounter maps for a farmers field, or trekking across icy terrain, or across a volcanic wasteland and such forth. Lots of forests though.
    At the same time, nice forest maps with streams and stuff are always awesome. Always.
    A castle bedroom and some of the surrounding rooms: Perfect encounter for stopping/assassinating that evil king (or queen).

All sorts of possibilities. Personally I would be happy just to trust in whatever you created anyway, regardless if it didn't have specific things I wanted. I can always build a campaign towards using a map I like after-all.