Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: December Challenge: The World of Deis Mundi

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've been thinking about making the coats-of-arms a little more muted, colorwise. They seem to clash too much with the rest of the color scheme.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was going to say mute all the colors a bit but you beat me to it. Nice job, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I did a desaturation on the coats-of-arms and I think they blend in a bit better now. Unfortunately, the layer with the colored nation outlines has been merged, so I can't do the same there. I'll play around with clipping masks, etc and see if I can achieve the same effect.

***Latest WIP***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeisMundi9.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	31600  

I like the way this is turning out!!! For the borders my suggestion is to put a grey gradient not sure the process to do that in photo shop I'm guessing masking, then set/change the layer mode to overlay or something similar, the grey should desaturate the colors I'm thinking. But to be honest I like it the way it is, you don't want everything to be unsaturated colors.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

You know, I kind of like it this way too. The shields were a bit too glaring, but with that fixed, I'm thinking now that I don't want to get too fiddly and mess around with the other colors.

Thanks for the comment!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The shields look perfect. As for the national borders are you saying that you merged them to the background? If so then, yeah, yer screwed there pretty much. What you could do is to put a layer of the paper color on top of that layer (hopefully you haven't merged the shields yet) but under the shields and set the blend to hue or color, this will turn the colors brownish, then lower the opacity and the color will come back the lower you go.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, the colored borders are merged with a few other layers in the main map, so it's a bit tricky. I tried doing as you suggested there, adding a paper layer under the COA, but the problem there is that it messes up the ocean colors as well. I suppose I could always clip away everything else besides the border colors. There's also the issue of what do do with the 'crossings' colors; any messing around there is going to make them too hard to distinguish from one another.

Wow! Nation borders not withstanding, this is marvelous work Diamond. Why is it that I always want to get back to mapping after looking at your work?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234