Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Witch's Rock

Blog Entries

Thats better. I like the lit ripples on the water better in this one too.

Wip Someone suggested I publish "Witch's Rock"

Someone sent me an Email suggesting I write a short adventure and publish "Witch's Rock"... Hmmm, it always seems my challenge entries seem destined for publication.

If I were to do this, I'd need to add a couple things besides the adventure. Actually I need to complete the cavern map, that is to create the rest of the caves that go off page on the main "Cavernes de DuFlor" 4 hour map.

I will clearly post this as "outside the 4 hour time limit" map, but I am currently working on that. Additionally, this product would need a cover design so I created one using Xara Xtreme.

Xara offers a technique to create layered vector shapes with transparency and create a "painterly effect" - some classic paintings have been done in Xara with amazing results.

Although this is my first attempt at trying out this technique on a cover art design. Notice the water in the wave in foreground and the woman's face - I was shocked how well it turned out!

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	witch-rock-cover.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	1998  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

It looks amazing ! Don't quite know how you get that effect not being a Xara whiz but I imagine that you must have good art skills to start with.

My French is pretty rough too but isn't there an R in sorciere ?

Wip Corrections and brief on painting technique

I fixed the "R" missing in Sorciere.

Using Xara as a vector drawing program. I import the photograph for reference. I draw using a mouse (don't have a tablet, though Xara works with tablets...) All my objects receive a feathered edge so they seem more painterly. I build layers with darkest at bottom, though I usually start from highlight shapes and work my way down.

I apply color fades from rose to brown for instance, and in some cases the lighter objects have transparency applied.

The second image shows the technique... WIP.

Name:	witch-rock-cover.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	2010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	witch-tutorial.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	2011  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Blimey thats very cool. I have dished my first rep !

Wip Final Entry

For my final entry, I wanted to upload my Map Entry final version, plus all other material as a single PDF file, however due to internet connection problems I couldn't upload the 10 MB PDF, so instead I've uploaded all my maps (4 of them) and included a PDF for the adventure portion of the entry.

The only changes I did to the Map Entry - was add one more "keyed" location on the map, along with its corresponding list on the top left of the map. This is the first map, below - the only one subject to judging for the December Challenge.

Of the other 3 maps - there is a Cavernes de DuFlor Map 2, which is the second or back half of the cavernes a place to complete the adventure. Village of Mamisa - I decided to throw in a village onto the Roche de la sorciere map, to give the pirates living there a community to live in. That same map also shows a closeup of the Elder House and Cyril's Tavern. Finally the regional map of just the island, I added the village in the map and replaced the "Capricorn" symbol in the bottom right with a styled "Skull and Crossbones" mixed with a Voodoo Symbol of Baron Samadi - Lord of the Dead, just to integrate the Pirates and Voodoo theme of this submission.

I plan to add in a few more map object details to the Village of Mamisa, Elder House and Cyril's Tavern (didn't get that far yet) - I wanted to post all this before the entry deadline is all, that's why I uploaded what is still yet incomplete....

Of the adventure PDF - I'm still missing some D&D game mechanics things - I need some encounter tables, monster stats, NPC stats, Magic Item stats, and a few more DC checks peppered around. Otherwise the complete storyline and adventure is there.

Final Entry WIP:

If you're looking for a free D&D adventure module - consider this a Christmas present! I do plan to complete this adventure, publish it myself and perhaps place it on RPGnow.com in the next week or two. I might even offer it for free - since I'm really trying to promote my map printing, as this adventure is really a glorified brochure!

Name:	cavernes1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	687.3 KB 
ID:	2040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavernes2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	2041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mamisa.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	673.0 KB 
ID:	2042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roche.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	2043   witchs-rock.pdf  

Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-23-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Merry Christmas!
    DrivethruRPG store

Good Job.

I'll read it momentarily (after I finish my own Serpent's Maw beyound the rough Outline I currently have done).

I also plan on offering it up for downloads, and it will be free.

Sorry for the threadjack, just basically saying COOL, and I WILL read it!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

GP, any chance you can post those maps without the grids on them? You may recall me mentioning before that grids muck with systems that have a different grid system or different size to their grids. By posting a static 5' square grid it kind of limits its use to systems that use that grid size. Well, not entirely, we can always work around it, but it won't look very good.

Second, I would recommend that after removing the grid you head over to RPTools and post that adventure for folks to use. You will be an instant hit and have the gratitude of many in that community I'm sure. Not to mention free swag is always a good way to get customers. No guarantees of course.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Of course, RP...

Good idea, I will certainly do that! If you read the "This Supplement" portion of the adventure download, I mention that these maps will be available in VTT format from my site as well (not done yet, I plan to do this.)

So, you're read my mind once again, RP - I do want to integrate this into the VTT marketplace as well.

I will signup at RPTools, right now!

I still need to add map details, corrections and game mechanics issues before I do, however.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-23-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Post I've posted them

RP, I've just posted the maps to RPTools...!
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast