Thanks Ascension! I'll just continue from here in a new post. I was going to add this to the original post, but I figure that would be confusing.

After shoveling up some mountains and dumping some snow on them, it is time to get the garden hose, and fill up some lakes, a fjord and of course some rivers.

Basics are a simple layer styled (see Pasis' tut) texture, with several clipping masks. One adds a dark blue colour, another adds black, a third one darkens the texture (brightness/contrast adjustment layer) and the final layer adds some clouds.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragonsden_wip04.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	813.2 KB 
ID:	31443

Next I added the forest, village etc. Many details. The forest is BASED on Pasis' tut, but with my own texture, which is MUCH bigger than what is useful for this scale. Thus I used the 'rough round bristle' brush in photoshop, and stamped the forest. I made some simple 'cliffs' with a fine brush on the 'high' layer of mountains. The buildings are beveled dots, and small shapes. I made a waterfall just by adding some white dots on a layer with slightly lowered opacity. It's barely visible anyway.

Name:	dragonsden_wip05.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	927.5 KB 
ID:	31445

This is quite a large difference, but this is mainly because of the 'grass' (green colour) below the forest and on the mountain sides. The higher points of the mountains got a touch of grey, it's just basically throwing in two colours. Also, the 'pseudo-volcano' got a bit of smoke. It's not really ash, but smoke. Cloud texture, low opacity, heavy drop-shadow... poof... smoke.

Name:	dragonsden_wip06.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	840.4 KB 
ID:	31444

I'm pretty close to where I am now... But I'm going to stop for now. I don't know when I'll have time this week, I hope I'll be able to finish this map soon