Thread: How to easily make parallel walls and divide space (Photoshop, mostly) ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I tend to do room maps in vector. I just grab a bunch of shapes (usually rectangles) you can resize them, and when you have what you want, merge them together and stroke them. Not sure if you know, but in photoshop you can use a hard square brush and hold down the shift key to draw straight lines. If you hold down the left mouse button (PC) and the shift key together and move the mouse it will draw a straight horizontal or vertical line depending on the direction you move the mouse in. That might save you a bunch of time! Enabling the grid helps to keep things straight too.

As for alignment, if you draw your pillars as quick shapes, you can select and align them all using the alignment function.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I tend to do room maps in vector. I just grab a bunch of shapes (usually rectangles) you can resize them, and when you have what you want, merge them together and stroke them.
    Gosh, of course. Should have thought of that. Thanks for smacking my neuron with the obvious, it certainly needed it

Not sure if you know, but in photoshop you can use a hard square brush and hold down the shift key to draw straight lines. If you hold down the left mouse button (PC) and the shift key together and move the mouse it will draw a straight horizontal or vertical line depending on the direction you move the mouse in. That might save you a bunch of time!
    I absolutely didn't knew that. It can even connect things, like a quick&dirty vector tool. Very nice indeed, thanks a lot I'll use this way beyond my little mapmaking.

As for alignment, if you draw your pillars as quick shapes, you can select and align them all using the alignment function.
    I didn't know about the alignment function. I just read the Adobe Help page about it, I think it does what I was looking for as for alignment and distribution. I'll check it some more.

Thanks a lot for everything.