Thread: PS CS5 suddenly slows down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thats not normal ! What do you think its doing with the 2Gb its working with. What I am betting is that its looking for new files saved and checking them off on a database on the internet for whether its a pirated copy of some vid. Its probably doing some kind of fingerprinting hash on your file. If you find that you cant stop it from starting when you boot then here are some tips. MS do a nice download called "system internals" google that and download the suite. Its a set of tools written by this great russian (white hat) hack who was bought by MS cos his stuff is so good and useful. One of the apps he wrote was the startup list where it runs through every which way possible to start an app from boot and lists them all. You can tick which ones you dont want to start. So for me the Java and Adobe Reader updater and so on get the heave ho and chucked off the list. When you get a really stubborn one then heres a great tip. Boot up in as high an admin mode as possible to get it this work. Find the file exe thats starting. Copy it to some name like SapsOld_xxxx.exe where the name was just xxx.exe and then create a nice little text file with a note in it like "Dummy file to stop xxxx.exe" and rename the file xxx.exe then change its permissions to read only. Now boot back up in your normal user mode.

In sys internals there is a process viewer called procexp.exe which is better than MS's version of the process explorer. This one tells you the filename and path to what is running and also when you want to shut it down it does not stall for 10 seconds trying. It just boots it off the system. To be honest I cant run a windows box without the sys internals suite. Its a PC life saver and thats not an overstatement.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    What I am betting is that its looking for new files saved and checking them off on a database on the internet for whether its a pirated copy of some vid. Its probably doing some kind of fingerprinting hash on your file.
    It isn't, and it doesn't. It's a service that makes it easier for others to discover the media you share on a LAN. If Windows had such a fingerprinting service, legions of corporate customers would present their astronomical ISP bills to MS.

Just sniff the network traffic your machine produces, and check where the traffic is going.