Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blandine's Primaterra project

I've been trying to get the mountains right, but I think they're horrible beyond redemption, so - new style. The idea here is to use shaded relief, but I've posterised the colours so it could be seen as more like an illustration quality. Subject to Raphael's thoughts, I think this is probably better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rublo test export.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	2039  

And here's a draft of the world map with cities and labels. Still to do:

• Convert scale to kilorods
    • Find or make a cool compass rose
    • Texture more geological features
    • Add Farisi caravan routes

Oh, and the final print sizes are 20cm X 30 cm or 50cm X 75cm. I'm shooting for the 50 X 70 (19" X 29"), as that's about the same size as my old poster map of Middle Earth, and it seems like a good size for a map of this type.

This map should appear approximately that size when viewed at a screen resolution of 800 X 600 on a 17-inch monitor. I was trying to get it to look right at 1024 X 768. I must have made an error in my arithmetic somewhere.

Edit: I revised the map, adding the capital cities, landmarks, and geographical labels. I also moved a couple of cities around, so they'd make more sense in relation to the rivers and mountains. The scale bar and compass rose didn't make it onto this draft, but they were temporary, anyway.

Raphael expressed delight with the current colors, so I'm going to consider those good for now. Finally, I have replaced the fonts with those provided by Raphael.

Name:	primaterra.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	2060  
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 12-26-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: revised map
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

New draft of the map. I didn't shoot for any particular print size this time, but just made it as large as I could considering the file size limits. The only things I've added here are the Farisi caravan routes, and I cleaned up some rivers that were jutting out into the sea.

Name:	draft2.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	2181  

This is looking really great Bryan! I'd better get back to Rublo and start getting some stuff done!

Blandine, are you happy with the style I've used for Rublo? Would you prefer a different style? (For example one that looks more like the style that Bryan is using for the main map?)

Cheers

Ravs

Hello back! Long absence here, sorry! :O I missed some things.

Bryan's last exports are looking very good! Not much is missing now. I just wanted it to look heavily crowded with information so it's a matter of having new places put on the map.

The colors are also beautiful, you had a very good taste in picking the tones after the political colors I indicated!

I was busy with other projects concerning the game and ended up not giving proper attention to this since the end of the last year. I'll mail you more later about the maps and with new information!

Thanks!!

OK, I've had another stab at Rublo, is this more what you wanted, Blandine? It's like the Absalon map but I've made it a little brighter.

Tell me if you want more details etc, or changes.

cheers

Ravs

Bryan, some of the cities were marked with squares others with circles and some with Capital letters but Rublo was in lower case...not sure what the significance is.

Name:	rublo final.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	2246  

The squares are landmarks, and the circles are cities. The circles with a ring are capitals. The capitals and landmarks are in all caps, the other cities have an initial capital. Except it looks like I missed Lodis--it should be in all caps and larger.

Rublo is looking a lot like something from Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess. Did you use Bryce? I liked your Longinus map, but this is head shoulders and horns better. Stick to this style would be my recommendation.

HandsomeRob and Anna are two of my touchstones for map design. Completely different styles, but each on top for their style.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast