Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WiP: Tarina for BlackStar Studios...

Still having trouble with that as you can likely see from my zoomed out clips below. It's a pain to get everything reshaded and recolored to be consistent.

BTW, I have been playing with filters trying to find one that can be applied to the final to soften up the hard satellite look and give it a bit more of a 'painterly' feel. This is Paint Daubs and I think it might be the one. 100% zoom in the large image, on a relatively finished section (missing some waves and docks).
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c4.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	38536  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The problem with the filters is that anyone who uses PS regularly can spot them a mile away. I've tried filter combos and never found anything that I felt didn't look shopped. Maybe I need to try 6 combos or stick it in something like Painter.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is certainly true. A very long time ago, on a much earlier version of PS, I had a filter that emulated various natural media (from Flaming Pear maybe?) quite well. I never looked into getting it for CS4, however. Wish I still had it.

Any ideas on how to 'post-process' this to remove some of the photographic look?
    M

Yeah. That's gonna happen!

I'm taking the lazy way out for sure.
    M

I don't know if your using PS5 for this one or not. But if you do I can recommend the pixelbender addon (you download it from adobes website) that includes an oilpaint filter that probably can do what you're looking for. To keep the details in the map a layer with the map with highpass applied to it and set to overlay will fix it.
    I hope I'm not too confusing
    Great map by the way.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Sounds cool...but I'm using PS CS4, unfortunately. I bought it a few months before they came out with CS5 and didn't have the cash to upgrade Do you know if the pixelbender thing will work with the trial version of CS5? I've never tried out the new version and this might be a good time to do so.
    M

As far as I understand the trial version is the full version, but it only works for 30 days.
    But I had a quick look at adobes site and if you go to Adobe.com/devnet/pixelbender.html you can find pixel bender for CS4. Just look under archived downloads.
    If you're interested I wrote a tutorial on how to make your map into a painting, you can find it in the tutorial section. It's a fleshed out version of my earlier post.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Thanks! Getting it now. Will see how it goes.
    M

Edit: Bloody Windows! The extension manager opens up and then tells me I don't have administrative rights to install it. I'll see if I can just insert it by hand.

Again: AHA! Just ran extension manager as administrator, seems to have worked.

And again: Bah. No Oilpaint filter in the CS4 version, it seems. Some cool effects though.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 09-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.

I downloaded a 15-day trial of Alien Skin Snap Art 3. It's pretty cool but didn't see that it would be useable for my purposes here but I might want to get it anyway. It's on sale until the end of September.

The pic below is Impasto with the realism settings dialed up. I like what it did with the water. The land, not so much...
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c5.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	38544  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast