Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thaalym-Duhr (WIP)

Wip

Finally, an update to this project. I won't go into detail about the delays that plagued me other than to say that I had a bear of a time trying to get my temperatures and rainfall amounts to lock in where I wanted them. Then, of course, I had to go and rebuild the climate image. I'm not sure that I'm 100 percent happy with it yet. There are a few colors that seem just a bit off to me, but I may be asking too much of myself.

I did, in the long run, go back to using Wilbur to get my terrain where I wanted. As much as I liked what was happening via the scripting process, I just felt that working through Wilbur gave slightly better results in the long run. But such is life. I'll be focusing in on the rivers next which will call for some comparison renders between Wilbur and FTPro to see which results I like the best.

Until then, the latest WIP for this project.

GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaalmyn-Duhr WIP 08.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	33279  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Wip

Finished up the first round of river/lake editing. It's not bad, but, deep down, I feel it could be just a little bit better. Then again, I'm only detailing out the major rivers and lakes at a continental level right now. The smaller lakes and rivers won't show up until I start working on a more regional and/or local level which will probably be rendered in Terragen thanks to an idea that ravells gave me a while back. The other thing that might make it look off is the fact that I'm using a flat color for the time being, and it doesn't match-up well where the rivers meet the oceans. Still, it's a bit of progress, and a bit is better than none at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaalmyn-Duhr - Riverworks WIP 01.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	748.1 KB 
ID:	33294

Thought I would throw a different version/render up here. Shifted to an orthographic projection and centered it on the part of the world I've been working on, just to see how things were actually laying out without so much distortion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaalmyn-Duhr - Riverworks WIP 01a.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	847.1 KB 
ID:	33304

On a side note, I went to the book store the other day and ended up spending way more than I intended. I had hoped to find "Mars Plus" by Fredrick Pohl (the sequel to "Man Plus"). Sadly, I didn't find that particular book, I did, however, find "Gilden Fire" by Stephen Donaldson (a back-story chapter that was cut from "The Illearth War") as well as "Time and Again" by Clifford Simak (a book I first read 35 years ago). You'd have thought I would be happy with that, but no, that simply wasn't enough. I checked out the RPG section of the store and found . . . half a dozen source material manuals for Hero Systems that I just couldn't pass up. So now, it looks like it's time to add a fifth book-shelf, if only I can find a place for it.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 02-08-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Adding Image
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12