Thread: Thaalym-Duhr (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

Secondary Editing Phase - Part One-B - Smoothing Things Out

After spending a couple of days thinking about this and taking a closer look at the previous results, I came to the conclusion that I needed to re-work things just a little bit. I was, effectively wiping out most of my mountainous terrain with the previous attempts. With that in mind, I set about re-structuring my selection criteria for what would be scaled and smoothed and got a little more aggressive with my roughness editing in an effort to get an even better transition between the coastal regions and highlands moving towards the interiors of the continental masses. I also worked to combine the two processes into a smoother, if somewhat lengthier single process. Overall, the results are much closer to what I was hoping for, maintaining a number of good mountains and ridges while offering up plenty of plains-like areas to play with.

Localized Sample
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Method 02 Modified.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	32185

Full World View
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaalmyn-Duhr WIP 05.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	768.8 KB 
ID:	32186

From here, I'll have to work my way around the edges of the continents to make sure any little lakes, ponds or pits that still exist are filled in before I start working with the Incise Flow and River Routing features. Of course, before that, in an attempt to make things moderately realistic, I'll have to take a look at the temperatures and rainfall amounts in an effort to create a wider variety of climate zones. Between now and then, however, and in the next post, I'll go into greater detail about how I achieved the current results for anyone who might be interested, though it may take me a day to get things worded in a way that makes sense.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 01-06-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Adding Attachment
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges