Thread: Thaalym-Duhr (WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

Initial World Generation

In terms of random generation through FTPro, I've normally gone for larger land sizes and smaller sea percentages so that I could trim things down to where I wanted them. With this map, I'm doing just the opposite.

The very first tutorial I found when I came to the guild was Waldronate's FTPro Tutorial (http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html). To this day, it is still one of my favorite tutorials. After reading through it dozens of times, it struck me that it might be applied to even better effect on a random world that started out with smaller land masses and larger seas. The logic here is that there would be more room for shaping and expanding continental masses and oceans without things becoming too crowded.

Not wanting to go overboard, I tweaked the generation settings in FTPro a little bit at a time until things were close to what I wanted. Then it was just a matter of finding a world that inspired me. Honestly, I went through dozens upon dozens of worlds before I finally settled for this one;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaalmyn-Duhr WIP 01.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	538.1 KB 
ID:	32089

Several areas of this world caught my eye, four of which looked prime for development as major continents, including a pair that could be set up as a combination of continents similar to the combination of North and South America. There were also a few areas that I could see as developing into minor continents and/or island groupings. And, of course, there were those areas that could be left "unexplored" or "untamed" for the time being. So, I shifted the position of the North Pole such that what I saw as the major continental bodies would be generally centered, cranked up the editing resolution and set to work on the initial round of editing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaalmyn-Duhr WIP 02.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	540.1 KB 
ID:	32091

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 01-03-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fixing Link and adding image
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges