Thread: Another Test City

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So far, most of this city building is automated (I'm just lazy that way), the roads come from the rpg city builder program (they don't look A1, but hey, they're quick), the buildings are created using context free which I just add to a 'vector line style', a bit like an image hose, I then add all the shapes together to get that jaggy feel. That Greenwood map that jb posted is of an ordered 19th Century city, I've always imagined fantasy cities to be more higgledy piggledy (hence the jaggy look), but my jaggy building shapes looks crap as it is.

I've started to draw roof lines on top of the jaggy buildings and I think it helps enormously, it gives that 'separation' that GW mentioned...you can see from the roof lines what the footprint of individual buildings are...the only problem is that they have to be drawn by hand, so you go mad spending hours drawing little lines and get carpal tunnel as an extra bonus, but maybe there's no other way? This took about 20 mins to do...so the whole city will take more than a few hours, but I like the look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof lines.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	337.3 KB 
ID:	32129