Thread: A map re-interpreted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the labels are fine as they are, but could do with standing out a bit more. You could try copying the text to another layer, underneath the current text layer, and convert the text to white bold outline text. This should surround the text above with a white "halo" effect, allowing it to stand out from the background.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Post Nice changes

nikonguy - Really like the changes you made to the map. I think that it came a long way in a short time (speaking from the "artistic" map standpoint). But I also agree that the old version would be better for me as a DM in running a campaign.

One question: El Haffa'd Emrites. Do you mean "emirates", i.e. the territory ruled over by an emir? Also, as in the United Arab Emirates?

Guild Novice

Yes, that's what I meant. Was not aware I was spelling it wrong. Even funnier than spelling it wrong on two maps is the fact that my buddy who plays with us, who is from the Middle East didn't even catch that error. Thanks for the correction!
    Maps are fun, but photos feed me.

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    I think the labels are fine as they are, but could do with standing out a bit more. You could try copying the text to another layer, underneath the current text layer, and convert the text to white bold outline text. This should surround the text above with a white "halo" effect, allowing it to stand out from the background.
    I do this with filters. I apply a very slight outer glow on the text layer, set to the "paper color", or white-Lighten, then adjust till it looks subtle.

As far as allowing your labels to pop out, I use Illustrator, and a trick I use there is to add an extra stroke to the text, then move the added stroke beneath the text and make it white (or whatever background color you are working with, a lot of the stuff I do is Black & White so White is usually what I use). Then I adjust the point size of the new white stroke for the scale of the map (If the map is excessively large and needs to be shrunk down for printing later on the page, you'll need a larger point size to see it in the overall work).

The "outer glow" idea is a good one though Keith, I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference.