2 22.22%

4 44.44%

2 22.22%

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ~Tiineria~ [First Map]

Quote Originally Posted by FeralBuddy View Post
    Looks great, Del! I like the grid.
    They only thing that I saw was the compass would look better if the lines were lined up with the grid, and the compass lined up with the lines.
    Otherwise, great! I can't wait to see the labels and how you split up the land.
    Ahh good idea, ill fix that in the update, thanks!

Default Political Version

Here is my first attempt at the political version of this map. I still have to do some cleaning up around the edges, and add the labels and stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Political Small.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	32384

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looking good so far, I like the color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Looking good so far, I like the color scheme.
    Thanks man, i'm working on coming up with names for all the labels, then ill darken the piece, its looking a bit bright.

Blog Entries

It looks pretty, but there are some technical problems for want of a better word.

Based on the graticule (the grid), the map is in Normal Equidistant Cylindrical Projection which means that:

The map should not extend pas 90° N or 90° S.

The higher latitudes should be stretched out horizontally producing an noticeable distortion.

A compass rose is inappropriate for this projection, and rhumb lines (the lines you have passing through the compass) would be curved, not strait.

I think what you want is to switch the Equidistant graticule for a Mercator one without changing the rest of the map. That would solve compass/rhumb line problem and mitigate the distortion problem. Or you could drop the graticule altogether and just have the rhumb lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    It looks pretty, but there are some technical problems for want of a better word.

Based on the graticule (the grid), the map is in Normal Equidistant Cylindrical Projection which means that:

The map should not extend pas 90° N or 90° S.

The higher latitudes should be stretched out horizontally producing an noticeable distortion.

A compass rose is inappropriate for this projection, and rhumb lines (the lines you have passing through the compass) would be curved, not strait.

I think what you want is to switch the Equidistant graticule for a Mercator one without changing the rest of the map. That would solve compass/rhumb line problem and mitigate the distortion problem. Or you could drop the graticule altogether and just have the rhumb lines.
    Thank you very much for the information, I wasn't aware that was how the graticule worked, or that the rhumb lines even had a purpose. I will amend the graticule from the next update, I was just basing it off of many similar maps made using Tear's tutorial. I'm guessing the longitude/latitude numbers should be removed as well?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by del337er View Post
    I'm guessing the longitude/latitude numbers should be removed as well?
    Yep, they should, they're what indicate it's in equidistant projection. And thanks to Hai-Etlik, you put perfectly what I was having trouble putting into constructive words so hadn't said.

Del, if you get curious about rhumb lines there's a fantastic thread from a few months back that goes into them in detail -- what they are, why they're useful, why Mercator's the only projection they work for. Here's a link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Yep, they should, they're what indicate it's in equidistant projection. And thanks to Hai-Etlik, you put perfectly what I was having trouble putting into constructive words so hadn't said.

Del, if you get curious about rhumb lines there's a fantastic thread from a few months back that goes into them in detail -- what they are, why they're useful, why Mercator's the only projection they work for. Here's a link to it.
    Ahh, perfect. Thanks a lot to both of you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by del337er View Post
    I'm guessing the longitude/latitude numbers should be removed as well?
    If you put in a Mercator graticule, you should move the numbers to match it. If you go with no graticule, then you shouldn't have the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    If you put in a Mercator graticule, you should move the numbers to match it. If you go with no graticule, then you shouldn't have the numbers.
    I believe I'm just going to leave it without a graticule, I'll do a bit of research before my next map project, and make sure I get all this right. Thanks again for the info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast