Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed - Various Styles

Hmm I'm still getting to know this site. I probably should have posted this WIP in the Regional Mapping section. Please move

Guild Novice

Off topic a bit but to clarify: Dead tree... it's a phrase we use in journalism all the time. And as mentioned it is usually in reference to books and newspapers...anything printed on paper. I'm a new media journalist (online/multimedia) so whenever my work goes into print in a traditional manner, I tell my associates that it will be appearing in a dead tree publication.
    Maps are fun, but photos feed me.

Please change this topic title to "Unnamed - Various Styles" thx

Took about 4 hours to colour the map (attached)... This will be the 'pretty' version of my map while the other greyscale one is for quick reference.

When it comes time to put a civilisation overlay on it, I may have to reduce the contrast of all the natural layers.

I have made this at twice the resolution of the attached image - which itself is half the resolution of my master copy (which is also the size of the greyscale one).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNRM_Map1_Pseudoreal1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	896.8 KB 
ID:	2009  
    Last edited by aeronox; 12-18-2007 at 12:44 AM.

..and a compass rose to go with it:

Name:	Compass_Rose1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	2012  

Some lettering...

I've started naming places, using names from another world I've made. Just to see what typeface I'd use, and what colours.

Name:	Test_AmarkinAndLuthea.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	2013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test_TitleCompassScale.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	2014  

Again...great maps! I really like your style.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is that the yellow/orange colour comes off too strong/aggressiv ... I'd bleach it to a softer tone. But that is just personal taste.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

careful with the fonts, you don't want to lose readability. That font for the large area names is close to unreadable.
    Something witty and pithy

Eilathen: which yellow/orange? On the title/compass or the desert?

mmmpig: thanks, I'm still trying other fonts. I have over 500 so it takes forever to go through them

I like the vibrant colors for this map; they give it a kind of adventurous flair. It's bold and exciting and doesn't take itself too seriously.

The trouble with the font is that the capitals are decorative--they work great if they're used as starting caps, but not so well when used to make an entire word. I think AlgerianBas would work well. You can find Algerian on some free font sites, but it has a drop shadow for some reason. The Base version doesn't have the shadow.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I like the vibrant colors for this map; they give it a kind of adventurous flair. It's bold and exciting and doesn't take itself too seriously.
    Thanks
    The objective is to create a map that is colourful, stylistic, yet still have accurate details (I mean, if it shows dense forest, then it's dense forest). It is useable. It isn't something that one of the world's inhabitants created; I made it, the author, to portray a vibrant world. In this respect I believe the bright orange BOLTSS components is suitable.

The trouble with the font is that the capitals are decorative--they work great if they're used as starting caps, but not so well when used to make an entire word. I think AlgerianBas would work well. You can find Algerian on some free font sites, but it has a drop shadow for some reason. The Base version doesn't have the shadow.
    I've been aware of Algerian for many years, but never liked it. I have altered the fonts and colours, and added sea/river examples, and some routes.

Rivers are particularly tricky: how to get a very small-size text readable, but not stand out, is difficult. Placing a label on those mountains is hard.. I don't like going too vertical, nor splitting the words up too much.

I did paint some borderlines in, but decided against it, at least for this region. It's sparsely populated, therefore little national conflict, hence borders are meaningless and arbitrary. Amarkin is the largest nation - and Luthea is also very large. The rest will be much smaller, and will involve conflict.

Name:	Test_AmarkinAndLuthea2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	2019  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast