I'm finally going to make my first post here! I've been a member for a couple of weeks following tutorials trying my hand at both GIMP and mapmaking for the first time. I've attempted drawing maps by hand on graph paper before, but could never get them to look right. So it's really nice to be able to make awesome looking maps without having to free-hand draw basically anything! So these are my maps. What do you think so far?

This is my current project. I've manged to get this far only using RobA's "Creating old, weathered paper using the Gimp" tutorial. I'm very proud of how it's going so far. The only real problem that I've run into is finding a way to make the cliffs that run along the coastline behind the mountains. I'm also completely stumped on how to depict the coral reefs that encircle the island. The only thing I can think of is just lines set to hard light or overlay.

This is my current layout for the legend, I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to fit it in there...

This is my first map using RobA's "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" method with arsheesh's "Making Photo-realistic Trees in GIMP". I also used a different tutorial for the Mountains, but I don't remember which one. As you can tell it didn't really go over well and I've decided that the style isn't right for it.

This is a randomly created map also using RobA and arsheesh's tutorials. I also made the Mountains based off the Tree tutorial. Please ignore the badly-made MS Paint Compass. XD