Thread: here it goes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    RPMiller: I would not presume to say that anyone here is more or less skilled. Their focus may be different than mine or yours, but I cannot judge one's skill. That being said, since I have a background in studio art, my critiques can sometimes be harsh (studio art instructors as well as graphic design instructors are not know for gentleness, I sadly learned from them), so I will lay low for a bit to see the lay of the land as far as acceptable comments and crits. I don't want to go all gorillacrit on someone and alienate people.
    I was speaking of my own lack of talent compared to yours. I try hard to not speak for others. As for honest and useful critiques, I think you'll find them in every WIP thread. I have yet to see an unhelpful or harsh criticism, and sometimes I've worried that I may have gone too far, but I remain honest and hope that in so doing I'm being helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    I feel like I now know the guy hiding behind the red rock.
    I think that is a ham actually.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Pyradon: it is indeed a ham. With cloves. Because it is tasty. mmmmm pig....

anyway, I was eating a ham sandwich one day when coming up with a log-in name. It was a kind of serendipitous moment.

The critique of your sea map was not harsh because I like the direction it could go. The harshness comes out when things need a bunch of rework. Basically it becomes less pleasantly worded. I don't attack the individual, but I am not kind to bad work.

As for what I hope to gain here? Yes, yes, and yes. I am trying to re-kindle a love of the line that I have kind of lost. I am really quite burned out on transportation maps. Bleck! To start with I want to get moving on more artistic maps and maybe start to transition into more gaming system specific maps. Hopefully (and this is a pipe dream hope) I can get some commission stuff going and get some jack on the side for my endeavors. As for the idea of a community of map geeks, I am soooo alll over that.

RPMiller: I must have worded things awkwardly. What I was getting at is that I wouldn’t consider my skills to be any better or any worse than anyone else’s out here. I may have different experiences or different exposure, but there have not been any maps that I have seen here so far that I have felt were not at least competent, if not great. So far, all I have seen has been skilled.
    Something witty and pithy

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    So far, all I have seen has been skilled.
    That's because I haven't posted much.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ahhhh....pig--ham--gotcha!

I think honest criticism will be appreciated by all. In fact, I've found most people--especially those who take their work seriously--get more upset when others just pat them on the head and say "goooood map, niiiiice map" than when they receive hoenst criticism. As long as, of course, that criticism is ever kind and friendly and heart-full, encouraging to even the worst map known to man. (I know what you mean about that harsh criticism: I was in many a creative writing rip session. Not nice, not acceptable here at the Guild at all in the least no way no how never. )
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

RPMiller: Then post something that I can Crit

Pyrandon: As long as people's criticism is about the work and not the person doing the work, I don't mind. The second it crosses that line, it is unacceptable. It is true that these boards can become a bit too "Great Job!" and "I love Blue!." One of the comic book boards I go to is just plain acerbic, but the critiques they give are spot on. Another board I go to is a little more fluffy.

If you want to rip on my digital art, please feel free to go to my deviant art site

mmmmmpig.devianntart.com
    Something witty and pithy

I've posted a couple things here and there. I believe they are mostly unfinished, but you'll need to search for them.

We discussed deviant art before. They fall into the lack of honesty group. I've seen some really bad stuff there that was getting kudos from people and there wasn't a single suggestion on how to improve it when it obviously needed quite a lot of work.

You get major points right out of the gate for having both super heroes and Ookla the Mok in your gallery! I especially liked the Cap For Fun. Good stuff!

Both your work on Deviant Art and your favorites therein really made me happy. Ex: I never knew anyone even remembers Ultraman! Oh man--I used to LOVE that show! Now we just need to bring back Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot!

Great fun!
    Last edited by pyrandon; 12-19-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]