Thread: Buried City Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

I no this is still not a structure or area map please bare with me

Step 1 was to take our working area and blow it up to extrapolate as much detail as possible:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Work Area Blown Up.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	32718

I then made a second layer; filled with a stone texture; and then masked it using the blown up area as a guide. This was then further modified by doing a distortion map procedure (Create another layer filled with layer clouds all numbers maxed. Edit layer mask: filter>map>Distort; the first one was -20/20 both with the noise selected; the second reversed with noise selected; the third was 20/-20 the negative was distorted using the rocky texture; and finally a fourth -20/20 again negative with rocky positive with noise).

Name:	Rock .png 
Views:	423 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	32719

Ok now to make buildings and roads we will first make the rocky layer invisible; then using our work blwnup and the color select tool we select a region of road; this will give us a not so nice outline for the roads (which works great for buried ruins) Then we make a simple blk/wht layer with the roads as black and set this off to the side for a bit.

Name:	Road Building.png 
Views:	1539 
Size:	371.3 KB 
ID:	32720

Next we take and choose a texture for the city blocks; I choose one that looked like allot of little fires or swirls (Named chocolate swirls in gimp. We want to ad a mask to this and coppy our roads build layer we just made to the mask, this will make all areas that are roads transparent. We apply this layer mask and then using Filters>Distort> Mosaic we make a nice broken block I chose fairly small octagons and squares blocks with a bit bigger spacing made them messy and color variance down to nothing. Also took all checks except average color out. I also created a layer under it and gave it a marble texture for the roads This is what we have

Name:	Blocked Out.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	32721

Starting to look a bit like what I want I decided to give my rock texture by taking the random noise we made earlier and aplying the exact same mask from the rock layer then setting it to an overlay

Name:	Textured1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	32722
    Last edited by shantedracule; 01-19-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Icon Tag changed to WIP