Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3d Town Of Tartha

???????????????Click image for larger version. 

Name:	town of Tartha x12 varient b.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	32884

I think if you put in some shadows it would help a lot. I would also take the smudge tool and drag your Dock Pylons down into the water which will give them the look of blurring as they go down into the water. I'm not sure what term PS uses for 'smudge' but I'm sure it's close. One other thing you may want to create a little more rapids coming out of the chasm to help with the depth illusion. I think you may need to do something with the way the structures sit on the land. Right now it looks like they are not quite integrated into the piece. With the straight edges along the bases (for instance the bridge) it makes it look like brand new construction or pre-fab dropped in.

Now this may be an area where I differ from many here in that I don't particularly like lines. Probably something my high school art teacher said but there are not really a lot of straight lines in life. It's all light and shadow. You can use lines but you run the risk of looking cartoonish. That may be fine if you want that style obviously. Perhaps a few tufts of grass or something might help?

I did a quick and dirty mock up for the shadows and pylons just to see if I knew what I was talking about and not all the shadows are in there but if you like what you see I hope it helps. I'm not entirely sure what everyone else is looking at so it would be good to also see what jz has to offer.

You have a good thing going here so don't give up. I know it can be frustrating when people are trying to explain stuff you just don't see. Happens to me quite a bit as well but if you can keep swinging your hammer at it and you will be glad you did.

Oh, and feel free to ignore this post if I have failed to communicate adequately. Most of us aren't trained teachers so sometimes what we try to say just fails. At least we are all rooting for ya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	663.2 KB 
ID:	32886  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

What Jax said and did was quite a bit of what I meant in terms of making the cliff walls darker at the bottom and lighter near the top as if shadows as the light gets less. Jax, you did a great job of what I was trying to articulate.

The base of your cliff now looks much better, but there are a bit of jaggies in a few places, especially on the right cliff bottom. It looks REALLY good at first glance, but when you zoom to 100%, you can see some of the jaggies with your texture or brush you used. I would run a light blur tool over that line a time or three on say 50% opacity with a soft round brush. It just needs a tad, not to much.

As for the water, post 31 was EXACTLY the thing I was suggesting which would help with breaking up the illusion. Another possible (and you don't have to do all of them, just play with it) thin would be to add additional support structure to the bridge itself.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge Supports.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	342.0 KB 
ID:	32888

Of course, if you decide to do that, you will have to figure out the angles and such, though it probably is not needed if you put the water right past it instead.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I don't really have anything more to add, Jax and jfrazierjr said it very well .... I just wanted to remark that Jax is right, you have a great thing going here, so please don't get frustrated. The stuff we really like we end up really critiquing because we want to see it at its very best.

Guild Novice

I think you did an excellent job on the waterfall. Nice job!

Looking forward to more updates on this...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

ok, so ive been adding some textures, shadowing and blurring the bottoms of buildings in an attempt to blend them into the landscape. been a little slow going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	town of Tartha x15 varient c.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	357.6 KB 
ID:	32980  

Very good! that looks much more natural and no brain tricks going on there. Looking real good and waiting for more to come. Oh, one thing I see is that you have a bit to much blurring directly to the NE of the bridge. I like the water effects you have on the lower river (the water flow highlights). Perhaps a bit more on the upper river would be nice.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is looking very good. The blurring really did the trick
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Great improvements it's coming along very nicely.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast