I tried fontmaking once a long time ago and quickly realized that I didn't have the patience. I'm older now and have much more patience but I don't think that I'm ready to make my own fonts - I'm way too anal about things. I spend a heck of a lot of time editing the existing fonts out there; correcting kerning and letter heights and widths and whatnot and I've got 25,000 fonts to check and correct for each damn label I put down. The appealing thing about letterform crafting is similar to map crafting - blending a certain technical side with the artistic side. A letter has to be made in a technical way to look aesthetically appealing. Font-making software uses all of those little node thingies and you spend hours and days moving each of those around and back then to a new place in order to get things looking just right. It's absolutely mind-numbing. Then when you're all done and you type your first sentence you realize that it looks like crap and either go back to the endless tweaking or quit. Then you realize just how good some of those professional calligraphers are so you try that for a while instead of fiddling with nodes for days on end. In the end you realize that this is a career and people dedicate their whole lives to it while we just dip our toes in the water.