Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First map ever

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I mostly work in one big file on my mac - and in photoshop. I've never had reason to split it up yet although I have had some slow saves with my necromancer tower - lots of shadow calculations in there.
    Try checking my "Mountain Realms" for an idea of size and look of labeling - I was rather satisfied with that one

and for your document size - think of how big you want to print it in the end. If you only have an A4 printer and don't want to tape several pieces of paper together then you have A4 as you format for your map (210x297 mm). For professional printing (offset) you need at least 300 dpi - for a good table top printer you can make due with 150-200 dpi - and if you only are going to use it on a screen 72-100 dpi is adequate
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

here is an update - Rivers are still missing - cant seem to get them the way I want it.

Beside that having the size I have I will probably cut out each continent and add towns/capitals, trade routes and roads to the again I have to find a nice way to do that but its on the drawing board at least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldofdacainia_2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	702.7 KB 
ID:	33015  

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    I mostly work in one big file on my mac - and in photoshop. I've never had reason to split it up yet although I have had some slow saves with my necromancer tower - lots of shadow calculations in there.
    Try checking my "Mountain Realms" for an idea of size and look of labeling - I was rather satisfied with that one

and for your document size - think of how big you want to print it in the end. If you only have an A4 printer and don't want to tape several pieces of paper together then you have A4 as you format for your map (210x297 mm). For professional printing (offset) you need at least 300 dpi - for a good table top printer you can make due with 150-200 dpi - and if you only are going to use it on a screen 72-100 dpi is adequate
    Just checked this one out .... its huges - and yes look pretty cool. your texture are very very nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12