Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monks View Post
    I didn't know I was doing a run...lol Well, no problemo obviously.
    Heh - I did kinda take it for granted that after you have put so much modelling into it you would want a copy of the map rendered ! Otherwise I would have to get about 35Gb to you. Look at this pic 68,000 files - no way am I zipping that up LOL.

The ViewingDale set tho is 4800 files at 2.5Gb so that could fit on a DVD and I could post it.

I could get you masks for the erosion on the mountains from World Machine if you want them.
    I dunno, do I want these ? What I think I need is a greyscale map or HF2 map with nice rolled off soft edges including valleys etc of where the mountains are and that will multiply in with the real world big peaky set.

I think it'll look amazing in ProLand. Getting our masks into OuTerra will be further out.
    Yup - looking forward to flying around real time in Proland. Don't know if it will handle the res tho. I know we can do 20K but I have never had it working higher than that yet.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-15-2011 at 06:29 PM.

68 huh...do you not want to put them on the ftp...? :-D

What res is the ProLand 11 setting at?

So you need a mask of the mountain areas with the edges blurred?

monks

We've finished the texture run in make and GTS. Still a list of things that need improving, but I think this is looking pretty sweet. These are shots in ViewingDale. The texture is 40k x 40K. It took about 5 days flat out on a quad core.

More pics in the gallery here:
    http://www.me-dem.me.uk/galleries/De...nt/gallery.htm

monks

Blog Entries

That dark patch out to sea is not supposed to be there and also you have Arial type font instead of the tolkien styled one but yeah, its looking good. I am about 3/4 there now so only another two days or so to go...

Do you mean the island near the Anduin exit? Tolfalas?

monks

Blog Entries

No, out to sea... compare... You can also see the text font is different. That could be fixed easily but I dont know for sure why there is the big grey kraken waiting out there. It might be because there was that thing with GM where it generates HF2/HFZ's with the unknown height of -9999999 m or something like that. It could be that the entire bit of the height out to sea is so low its giving duff texturing for the sea depth. I thought the processing clamped it to -1000m max sea depth. Maybe this didn't happen or it could be something else.

Oh yeah, I should also point out the big horizontal line on mine is just where I am up to in the processing thats all. But it should still be blue underneath when it completes since theres bits finished on mine within the dark area of yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiddleEarthCompare.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	36365  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Ah yes. That's the abyssal zone/ continental shelf. That colour distinction appears in the original topo too. Tolfalas island on mine is darker- that's a little odd. Well we can write a short list of things that need fixing. Been a bit busy last couple of days.

monks

Blog Entries

Yes its clearly something height related but there's something different about our two systems and apps. Its ok if your busy, I have a few days more of processing to get mine complete anyways. The processing for my next little bit has completed so ill see if I have just covered Tolfalas now...

Ahh yes. It looks pretty similar to me. I don't think this is a problem. I included the name so you can see the font. I'll have to get it to you. If you rerun it will just do the places and run to the end without doing too much - certainly not the whole processing or any texturing.

Name:	Tolfalas.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	36366  

Cool, yes it's the same now. Much nicer font that.

monks

Blog Entries

Mine has finished processing and I put it into Proland. Tried level 11 for 40K but it barfed a lot and eat 30Gb of HDD so I had to run at 10 so this is a 20K res proland version of the 40K map - Monks, mail me and ill get you the new builder app. Anyway, here is a shot of the Isengard area. Its nice but it gets a bit hazy at low levels that wipe a lot of the detail near to the ground. I dont know if there are options to control that but anyway its great at world distances and is the best we have till we see the Outerra engine in action.

Ok heres another one or two - Sunrise over Mindolluin and the Ephel Duath.

Name:	Proland10.png 
Views:	543 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	36488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proland11.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	998.2 KB 
ID:	36489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proland12.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	627.5 KB 
ID:	36490  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-13-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast