Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

And now that I seem to have outerra working on my mashine, I am having dreams about flying into Mordor... not sure if I would call that cool or terrifying oooo the anticipation!!!!!!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Flying well above it, perhaps while clutched by a giant eagle, might be okay...if you had the proper breathing equipment.
    M

Thanks Antonio! :-D...glad you got it fixed Korash...woohoo! Yeh...I'd love to import a dragon or eagle animated model into Outerra and set the cam position so you could fly one. At the moment Mordor is not very Mordorish- but once the biomes come online things will really take a leap forward I think. Still, tweak the fog settings and sun position for a reddish glow and you have a pretty wicked flying experience!

I think I've finally ironed out my pc problems...Geez...don't want to jinx myself though by saying that :p...There's a quick hack by Cameni here to get some forest placement from a user-defined map.
    I'm rebuilding some river valleys that got destroyed from our recent remapping of lowland heights and then running another make which will spit out the textures and the final release build. The GTS texture output maps will be used in Outerra's upcoming biomes system to place different biome types. If all goes well it'll be about 2 weeks until we can release something.
    The release will include the forests and we'll be adding in the major lakes too. Mt Doom is a little higher now- around 16,000 ft from the plain...scary...and Erebor is in too- couldn't leave that out after seeing The Hobbit nu nu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTS_Texture_170113.png 
Views:	937 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	51536 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_01.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	803.3 KB 
ID:	51537 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_02.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	51538

Name:	Forests_03.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	606.7 KB 
ID:	51539 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_04.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	51540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirkwood_Lorien_and_Fangorn_01.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	821.0 KB 
ID:	51541

Name:	Mirkwood_Lorien_and_Fangorn_02.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	51542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anduin_and_Ithilien_01.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	697.3 KB 
ID:	51543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anduin_and_Ithilien_02.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	708.5 KB 
ID:	51544

Looking south-west over the forests of Northern Ithilien to Minas Tirith and Mount Mindolluin.

Name:	Forests_of_Ithilien_SW_to_Minas_Tirith_01.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	706.1 KB 
ID:	51545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_of_Ithilien_SW_to_Minas_Tirith_02.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	496.6 KB 
ID:	51546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_of_Ithilien_SW_to_Minas_Tirith_03.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	808.9 KB 
ID:	51547

monks
    Last edited by monks; 01-23-2013 at 08:42 PM.

What would it take to get topographical data from Global Mapper of Middle Earth? I just got a $10k laser cutter and would love to make a topo map of it much like this.

Name:	SJI-jan1513-alix_1_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	51695

Quote Originally Posted by monks View Post
    Thanks Antonio! :-D...glad you got it fixed Korash...woohoo! Yeh...I'd love to import a dragon or eagle animated model into Outerra and set the cam position so you could fly one. At the moment Mordor is not very Mordorish- but once the biomes come online things will really take a leap forward I think. Still, tweak the fog settings and sun position for a reddish glow and you have a pretty wicked flying experience!

I think I've finally ironed out my pc problems...Geez...don't want to jinx myself though by saying that :p...There's a quick hack by Cameni here to get some forest placement from a user-defined map.
    I'm rebuilding some river valleys that got destroyed from our recent remapping of lowland heights and then running another make which will spit out the textures and the final release build. The GTS texture output maps will be used in Outerra's upcoming biomes system to place different biome types. If all goes well it'll be about 2 weeks until we can release something.
    The release will include the forests and we'll be adding in the major lakes too. Mt Doom is a little higher now- around 16,000 ft from the plain...scary...and Erebor is in too- couldn't leave that out after seeing The Hobbit nu nu.

Name:	GTS_Texture_170113.png 
Views:	937 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	51536 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_01.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	803.3 KB 
ID:	51537 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_02.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	51538

Name:	Forests_03.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	606.7 KB 
ID:	51539 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_04.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	51540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirkwood_Lorien_and_Fangorn_01.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	821.0 KB 
ID:	51541

Name:	Mirkwood_Lorien_and_Fangorn_02.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	51542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anduin_and_Ithilien_01.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	697.3 KB 
ID:	51543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anduin_and_Ithilien_02.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	708.5 KB 
ID:	51544

Looking south-west over the forests of Northern Ithilien to Minas Tirith and Mount Mindolluin.

Name:	Forests_of_Ithilien_SW_to_Minas_Tirith_01.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	706.1 KB 
ID:	51545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_of_Ithilien_SW_to_Minas_Tirith_02.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	496.6 KB 
ID:	51546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forests_of_Ithilien_SW_to_Minas_Tirith_03.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	808.9 KB 
ID:	51547

monks

//copy of post in other thread//

Hey Rave, very cool stuff you've posted there and what an exciting industry to work in! Yes, we can output directly from Global Mapper I think...STL? or something. Maybe that's easier all round. I'd have to reimport the release build (imminent) back into Global Mapper. Not straightforward but with a bit of effort it can be done- I'd have to do it anyway eventually so...
    Yes, The Me-dem heightmap has moved on quite a bit since that pic Robes posted. 8 levels might be a bit limited for the whole map I reckon but best thing would be to try a mock up in a 3D app I guess. Yeh, it might look pretty cool. If it doesn't we could always give you a smaller area.
    I always loved those kind of realisations of maps..I remember our geography teacher had a kind of latex physical relief map on the classroom wall, and it was always fascinating to look at.

monks

Hey, we're going to release the demo very soon...! The build is done and good to roll. In the meantime here's a few pics from both the GTS texturer and from Outerra. Once Outerra's biomes come online GTS will be providing the distribution maps.

This is a demo. We'll release an update in the next weeks which will be V 1.0, and good for building architecture on. We just need to make a few changes to heights in a few places: Anduin Valley and Mirkwood, Gondor, Rohan.
    New stuff this time: Lonely Mt added. Lakes now visible as water in Outerra.Numerous other fixes and improvements.

At the moment lakes are set at sea level. Further down the line when Outerra supports lakes at different heights we'll release another version which will have lakes set correctly. This wil change terrain heights around the immediate vacinity of them but won't impact other than that.

Currently there is no Rivendell- I mean there is no deep valley especially created for it. Ideally we'd want to use the Lauterbrunnen terrain for that (It was explicitly based on the Swiss valley). That would have to be part of a patch for future release. Apologies to any extreme elf lovers :-D Such things happen when you're trying to build an entire world...!

GTS Texture in ViewingDale Viewer

Name:	Overview_03.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	52084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belfalas_01.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	52085 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eriador_02.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	52086

More here: ViewingDale

GTS Texture as a drape in World Machine

Name:	GTS_Tex_12.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	878.8 KB 
ID:	52087 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTS_Tex_11.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	52088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTS_Tex_09.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	52089

Outerra

Name:	Release_01.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	52090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Release_03.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	52091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Release_05.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	52092 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Release_06.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	625.1 KB 
ID:	52093

More here: Outerra Beta

monks

Very impressive Monks, I've been enjoying following along on this!! Looking forward to your release, congratulations Have a bit of rep!

Thanks Vellum! The goood news is, it's going to be FREE. All you need to do is download and install it and have at least an nvid 8600 to 8800 gfx card. Then you'll be able to fly around the whole thing. More instructions to follow with the release!

monks

Free is always good Thanks for the mini update, I'll be waitin and watchin

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

This is going to be a stand alone thingy...!!???!! For FREE?????? :cool:

I though with all the work you guys were doing on it, I thought that it would have some sort of pricetag on it. I KNOW this is a labour of love, but even so....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast