Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite-style map in need of text

Default Satellite-style map in need of text

Haven't been doing anything cartography-related in a long while, but somebody asked me to make a map and I decided to try out a lot of new ideas. Looking back, I ought to have fixed up the coast (which I was given in the base), especially the delta, a bit, but that's something for another time. Right now, I'm looking for comments/criticism on the map without before I start adding in other stuff (especially that water, which I'm kinda not sure about), and some ideas for text, cause I'vehit a wall for that.
    Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khalsistan in d2.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	32996  
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

My comment is simply that your map looks gorgeous. I like the styling you've come up with, and you've chosen great tones.

Is there any chance of a higher-res view?

Thanks! Unfortunately, that's full size. Again, if I were to redo this I'd retrace the basemap at a higher res instead of working straight on it, but I didn't realise where I was going with this until I got there, pretty much.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's really so small (under 500 pixels per dimension) that you won't be able to do much with text - you'll have to pick something that is very easy to read at small sizes like most sans serif fonts (Arial). The colors look pretty nice, though, but that's all I can say for now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I really like this. The style in particular, it's gorgeous. Closer to a realistic rendition, but still far enough from "satellite imagery" to keep the fantasy map feel.

Just make sure you work at a larger resolution, it's really a pity here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You could add a border around it (without changing the size of the map) and place the text in the border and use lines/arrows to point to the places of note.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good idea SG.

I really love this style.
    The colors are very good and natural and the mountains are very cool.
    The only negative thing here is the resolution and the delta.
    By this resolution it is quite complicated to put in some information on the map, although it is very nice without labeling too.
    And I have a feeling, that with this small river size that delta looks a bit unnaturally big, but I am not a river expert, so it can be that I am wrong.
    I think this map is worth for a re-do in higher res, and than it would be perfect.
    "Be Yourself - everyone else is reserved already..."

So... decided to go ahead and redo the whole thing to fix these problems. Drew a new base at 3 times the size. Not too happy with the mountains now, though. I might go back and redo them to be much smaller. Thanks for the suggestions/nudging, everybody!

Also, darkened up the colour scheme. I like this much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supa K final maybe.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	748.5 KB 
ID:	33284  
    Last edited by euio; 02-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks pretty nice, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast