Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
I kind of felt like I rushed this a bit last night. So with a clearer head I went back and took a long look at it. The premise I had concoted was ridiculous. If this ship had no mundane transportation function why did it look like a ship? Why not a cube or a sphere or anything else? Why have a mess and a storage area? As you can see I kicked myself around pretty good I have been (and will be in the future) guilty of trying to get over on myself. Sometimes I come up with an idea that I like and rush off to make something out of it without giving a lot of thought to how it would actually work. I am a major offender in the "magic will explain it" category and usually I am ok with that but this time it just felt like I was "cheating" both the map and myself. I went back and made the "Wings" a ship she has masts and a rudder now and actually has a reason to be moored in Stormhaven Harbor. I've decided to write that adventure now I just need to learn the 4e rules..
I don't think your original premise was that bad, to be honest.

But if you want to have an explanation for why the ship looks like a winged ship, perhaps you could go back to Spelljammer, have the ship built on the Prime Material Plane and then have a group like the githyanki hijack the ship and take it to the Astral Plane. It could then travel from there to the Abyss and get sold or stolen there.

BTW: I like your moving wing sails. If you read the SJ novel Beyond the Moons, it has a ship with wing sails that smell like cooking meat when they catch fire. Maybe your wing-sails are somehow alive. Perhaps they have been harvested from a giant wyvern-like creature.