Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Island Style Emulation (de Fer)

I see what you mean about the rivers, but I like the mountains!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I liked the mountains too, but I decided I was straying too far from the goal, so I hit the reset button. Here's the new version with all hand-done shading around the island, new rivers and new mountains (this is it for the mountains, I guess I should have said this is a very HILLY island).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island13Post2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	33141  

I like this version a lot better than the other! The rivers are better looking too, I think. Nice

Mountains and hills are done now, I think. It's certainly not an exact style emulation, but I think it's a lot closer now.

Name:	Island13Post3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	33334  

Awesome work Gidde! Keep it up.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Thanks geamon!

Definitely a promising project ... I am really looking forward to seeing further process

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Holycarp!!! that's totally the look I've been going for all this time with my own hand drawn mountains, you've nailed it perfectly in my eyes.

Ok, now that work has settled back into a routine, I'm starting to feel the creative itch again, and you've just pushed me over the edge. It's time to start drawing again!

**dangit, i can't rep you for this, seems i've done so too recently... i think you deserve double rep off this project...**

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

@ wally: Thanks! It's been fun so far

@ CM: Thanks, what high praise!! It's really good to see ya again

Ok, it really goes against my instinct to bump this with so little progress, but I'm stuck and need a little help here, please.

I'm working on the settlements, so that I can put forests around them and fields in the rest of the empty places like deFer has on his, but I've never done the tiny-house type settlements before and I've hit a snag. The first city I did was all very even, tiny little buildings (by the biggest mountain). Then the second city I did was on the south coast, and the buildings grew. Now I'm trying to do the largest city (between the other two) and I realized I'm all over the map, as it were, on size. So ... here is my question, and it's multiple choice, so there's very little effort involved in answering

Are:
    -- a) the small buildings much better and I should delete the other two cities and keep my buildings from growing?
    -- b) the bigger buildings much better and I should delete the tiny-building'd city and keep my buildings from shrinking?
    -- c) the size difference really isn't that noticeable and I should quit being so anal-retentive and draw the rest of them?
    or -- d) they all suck and I should take a good long look at deFer's map and then try again.

If the answer's (d), please don't think I'll think less of you for saying so.

Oh, and try to ignore the fact that I haven't bled the ink -- once I do, they'll match the rest better.

Name:	Island13Post4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	33389  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast