Thread: Realms of Ranora

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Also, you might consider scaling down the hills or scaling up the mountains. My vote would be to do the mountains up by about double or so and compare size. Hills should be somewhere around 1/2 to 1/4 the size of the mountains. Personally, I would highly suggest getting and using the vector symbols from the additional map pack if you can afford it. The mountains are MUCH better looking to me as are the hills. You might also try playing around and making your own mountains by breaking apart some of the existing symbols and do some experimenting. Also, on the NBOS site under the resources section, Mark Oliva's group has created some additional vector symbols for FM, though I don't know if there are additional mountains,hills, trees and stuff, but it might be worth a check out.

EDIT: also, if you take a look at the original map symbols in FM, you will notice that the hills are shaded on the left side(light coming from the East) while the mountains are shaded on the right side(light coming from the West).... YIKES!!!! light does not do that and it's those little things that can really stand out and make a map good or horrible.

As for scale, I think the PDF tutorial shows how to do that, but if not, it's fairly easy to make a long skinny rectangle, fill with color (or perhaps two colors, half and half) and then add your distances label underneath.

If you decide to do some more edits on this, let us know in the thread and I or one of the other community leaders will move it to the WIP forum until you feel it's "finished".
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 02-03-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.