Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World of Darha (MIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map The World of Darha (MIP)

The World of Darha:

So this is the current state of my MIP (map in progress) of the world of Darha. As I have been carrying around an idea for a story I would love to turn into a novel sometime in the future as well as creating my own Pen&Paper RPG playing in the very same world as the novel I thought that drawing a map for the whole of it would be a good starting point.
    The name Darha is the current headline of the project though I haven't decided yet whether it's going to stay that way.

Technical stuff:

As I am a loyal user of Ubuntu (Linux) operating system and the whole idea of open source software I used to do my cartography with open source vector graphics editor Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/). I personally believe that vector based graphics editors are most suitable for cartography (at least for medieval/fantasy-style mapping) as they concentrate on lineart and enable you to make changes to even the tiniest segment of every single line your draw throughout the whole process of the map. (This is my personal opinion about this. Nevertheless I do not deny that many of the most brilliant maps I've ever seen were done with raster graphic editors like PS. This thread, however is not supposed to start discussions on »raster vs. vector«).
    As I already mentioned I used to favorise Inkscape for my mapping for the last couple of years (after drawing with real pencils on real paper and proceeding to PS and then to Illustrator). But lately I decided to switch over to Xara LX (http://www.xaraxtreme.org/) for it has the one thing that Inkscape is still lacking and that (which I can't stand any longer): hardware acceleration.
    As my maps grew bigger and bigger and evermore detailed Inkscape got so slow that even zooming in and out took partially up to a minute of time.

The Construction of a World:

Step 1:
    From the beginning on I wanted to create a world as authentic as possible when it comes to geographical principles and natural laws. So I started with creating tectonic plates and their assumed drift:

Step 2:
    After analysing the boundaries of my selfmade tectonic plates I marked the regions in which mountain ranges (brown) and rifts (blue) are most likely to occur:

Step 3:
    Before starting with the actual outlines of the continents and isles I thought how I want this world to look like. I wanted nothing too similar to our world. I started drawing rough shapes and absolutely undetailed shapes to the map and then adapted them to the concept of the continental plates. I did so until I reached the point at which I was satisfied with this approximate arrangement (I identified this point when I caught myself deriving new ideas for my story from the map)

Step 4:
    Next step was to redraw the coast lines in detail and to add isles to the whole of it and playing around with the Contour Tool which created those nice looking parallels of the coastline:

Of course criticism and any other constructive comments are highly appreciated

Cant wait to see what you do with this next! What style will this be? ...the southwestern continent looks just like a dragon head.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    Cant wait to see what you do with this next! What style will this be?
    It will go into this direction

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    ...the southwestern continent looks just like a dragon head.
    It's not the first time I hear that. It wasn't on purpose.

I would appreciate some constructive critique on the tectonics and especially on the mountains and rifts
    Last edited by wally-d-feed; 02-06-2011 at 08:13 PM.

nobody who's got something to say?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The process seems very thorough. WAY more so than I could ever hope to accomplish. Overall the map looks great
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks man. Maybe I'll use it for a tutorial.

By the way: I love your signature!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The tectonics seem pretty convincing to me, but since I don't know jack about tectonics, that probably doesn't really mean a whole lot.

But I do like the landmass layout, and yeah, I see the dragon head too. He's even got some whiffs of smoke coming from his snout - those archipelagos to the north.

I'am still not fully content with the landmass layout ... can't reason, it's a subjective impression.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think it's just because you've been staring at it so long. The landmasses look fine to me, and the tectonics look reasonable. Onward!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast