Thread: Ticket to ride 10.000$ map competition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the price is great and the competition sounds fun - but I think its important to talk about the copyright issue in competitions like these. I've seen debates about this in especially photographers forums - which can hurt a lot since a photo is easily used for other stuff.
    The dilemma is really that even though you don't win you've given up all rights to the artwork you have submitted. (maybe even the right to showcase it yourself - the rules doesn't say you can), and basicly if a company wants to take the moral high ground they pay for the art/maps/photos/texts/etc they use. Therefor the proper rules would be that the WINNERS has to transfer the rights to their artwork and the loosers can keep their art work.
    In theory (and I'm not saying they'll do it) they could publish 100 new games from the entries while only paying for a couple. So I'm just saying - if they want to do right by the artist - they should change their rules to reflect that they respect the artist.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise