Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regional map for new D&D campaign

Guild Novice

I think I'm following your logic, but I don't get your notes in the second image... I'm assuming the 'erase these' notes are referring to the mountainous regions? in order to create a floodplain? Then in image #3, it looks like you just went snaking around the mountains/hills. Are the blue rivers the only ones you feel should exist? and if so, why? I actually care a lot more about the theory and thoughts behind the actions than the actions themselves. The notes in images #1 & #4 make a lot of sense, and are perfectly understandable, it's just the middle two that I'm having a bit of a hangup with.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The second pic shows the way things would go as is. The river snakes around and heads north but there is this huge bay sitting so close...it looks like a perfect place for a river to empty out in. The third map shows how I think things should go. It's purely my own opinion, though, so do what you will with that. Now that I look at this thing as a thumbnail, it looks a lot like Europe and my idea of the scale could be way off so you could have rivers doing anything if this, in fact, is meant to be Europe-like.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Yeah, modeled very much after europe, though I'm considering zooming out a bit and changing landforms to muddy the waters a bit... as I'd like to add a fantasy aztec civilization and have it's location make sense. I'm thinking I may start over, because the resemblance to actual europe is far too noticeable... I think I need to just simplify things a bit and decide which civilizations I would like to include and just draw landforms to match.

I'm still at a stage where I'm drawing maps and fleshing out the "fluff" for my campaign, so nothing is set in stone.

Whenever I look at the rivers in Europe I can't help but think that the designer could have used a little help with some of the rivers. Some are far too long and look to be going in the wrong direction, a couple start out by a coast and flow away from the ocean, some of them get really close without joining, and so on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Europe-Rivers-1.gif 
Views:	314 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	33886

European rivers make more sense if you added a height map to your map. And the closest these get to each other is about 50 kilometers, so there is plenty of room for a mountainrange between them. Some of them do tend to stray from their proper path, when there's insane amounts of rain. Very impractical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12