Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Urcys

Guild Member

Fact is the real area I need is thankfull to the center of this map.
    Therefore, the borders suffering from texturing wouldn't be so much of a problem.
    Right now, I'm tring something that give quite good results, Just a second more and I migth have something nice.

Guild Member

Ah, well, since i've meddled with it with a lot, it has come to something... how do you find the result ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La carte.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	570.2 KB 
ID:	33760  

Guild Member

That's quite a problem...
    How am I supposed texture this so it won't look at it looked like with all the bright colors and "daylight" stuff from before ? It looks like just a bitmap if I don't texture it... I'd like to look more antique...

Then, how about this one ?

Name:	Urcys2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	33763  
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-21-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Well, to make your map look antique here is the quick fix (see below). I converted the map into grayscale, cropped out the very unantique border and applied a burnt edges filter to it.

But it still doesn't work really because the icons on map are too obviously computer generated...there is no hand drawn feel to them at all. You can play with other artistic filters and overlay them very subtly on top of the original, but the real problem is that a filter will look like a filter unless it's done very gently. In the second image I've duplicated the layer and applied an ink outline filter to give it a slightly heavier pen and ink look but drawn it's opacity down by about 50%.

At the end of the day it's what works for you, but filters will only help you so far.

If you like the map and want to do it the more long winded (and rewarding) way, tell me and I'll walk you through how I would do it.

::edit:: just seen your last post - much better.

Name:	antique.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	799.4 KB 
ID:	33764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique_01.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	33765  

Guild Member

Don't know where you got the burnt border but it looks like something that I would like to have my hands on ^^'. Yeah, I'd be glad that you tell me how you did it !

Guild Member

Hum, from scratch would be good !

OK.

What sort of look and feel do you want your map to have? :: edit:: what is the scale of the area you're mapping?

Fast way: post a link of a map you like
    Slow way: describe it to me.

Regardless of the look and feel, check out Old guys tutorial on making fractalised coastlines. Should work in psp no problem, and draw the coastline you want using this method. Do this in psp and make sure that the land is black and the sea is white or vice versa.

Guild Member

The scale should be the world, this map is for the cover of the book so it needs to give the setting of the universe : Heroic Fantasy, with elves, dwarfs etc and magic.

The names are all ready in a file (and neatly bunched up).

There is 3 majors kingdom and 34 minors ones (not a problem to ignore mapping some since they're minor and just mentionned) aside the minor country of Tijurn where the story begins (need to be seen).

The landscape near this village needs : Wide empty space, forest (where elves lives), a small place for dwarves (mountain) Something like an alpine forest would do near this one village. The capital should show some modesty in regards of the 3 major kingdom's one and be on the direct east to the major kingdom of Aeries.

The rest hum, I havent wrote much about it so well, I guess there's sea (so there can be fishermen in the small kingdom) and I need some bridge between the village and the alpine forest... A river would be great for exemple.

I guess that is how I see it for now.... what should I describe more to imagine a great map ? I don't quite know...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast