Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Urcys

No worries. If this map is going to be used as a book cover, the first thing you need to do is to make sure that you are working on a document with the correct pixel size. If it is too small it will not look good even if you resize it. Better to make it bigger than you need and size it down if you have to. If you open your scanned document in psp and look at the document information you will see that if you print your document at A4 size with the pixel count you have (6614 x 9534) you will be working at a resolution of 800 px per inch, which should be plenty.

Make a new layer above your drawing and using the pencil tool in PSP and trace over your land areas, so that all the land is black against a transparent background. Also start to put in the locations of all the cities, towns, roads, mountains, forest etc on your paper sketch (you can be very rough, just draw an upside down v to represent mountains for example and the cities etc can just be dots), just so you have a rough idea of where they are as you progress. As you sketch out locations, think about your story and how far locations are from each other and where they are in relation to each other. How long does it take to get from town A to town B in your story? Depending on the speed of the transport used you can work out the distance. For example you can travel about 20miles a day on horseback (if you don't want to overtire your horse). So if town A is 2 days' ride from town B, you know it's about 40 miles. As you go through this, you will begin to get an idea of the scale of your world.

Guild Member

Okay, I'm doing this right now ! But the character are curently using : Thee (5 miles) Suu (20 milles) and Keh (80 miles) Should that reflect on the map ?

Mika.

PS : This is the cover it will be included on after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	33784  

It is easiest just to estimate the scale with a ruler (e.g. 1 cm = 5 miles) on your sketch, so Thee will be 1 cm away from wherever, Suu 4 cm and Keh 16 cm. If you run out of paper just make the scale smaller.

Guild Member

Wip

Well, I have scaled the map like you've told me. I hope it's okay like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.psd  
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-22-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Great, now do this step:

Make a new layer above your drawing and using the pencil tool in PSP and trace over your land areas, so that all the land is black against a transparent background.

Guild Member

Here it is ! Did I properly fractalize the thing ? But I made a mistake, it's not a layer, the whole thing is one layer and actually black against transparent T-T.

Guild Member

Erratum : I could make a layer with only the line and a layer with only the lands. the image show white but it's really transparent in my image.

Guild Member

What should be my next step ?

I see you had probs with oldguys tutorial, so I fractalised the land for you. Open this png in psp and call it 'land' and then increase the image size to 6000 px wide. Use a black brush and the lasoo tool to make any adjustments you want to the landmass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fracedge.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	33788  

Guild Member

My Main problem is that all is written in english while my photoshop is in french, and I can't see where is each thing he's speaking about :/
    Ok, will be doing so !

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast