Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Urcys

Guild Member

Erf. It's no good, I'm getting nowhere at all...

Guild Member

It's no good.
    Too much of the land mass is eaten away in the base you gave me...

Guild Member

I have both software at disposal, and I did it with the two. But still, too much of the landmass is eaten away and I can't do a thing about it... on your basic map, the very place I had put the town in my minds is already gone...
    I'm searching a round-about it.

Guild Member

Wip

Oh god, I've finally managed it... I think it can't be better now. I mean the global shape of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fracedge.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	33792  
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-22-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Great. Make a new layer below your landmass and make that layer black (for now). Turn your landmass layer white by going to Image Adjust / Invert. *** Increase the size of your image to 6,000 px wide **** then make a copy of the landmass layer. On that copy put down very roughly (you should have it in your sketch) where all the mountains, forests, rivers cities etc. are. Also (for my benefit) tell me what the distance is between any two cities of your choice.

Guild Member

Wip

You really know to ask the impossible. Well, since I cound't do a thing by hand, I did it with brushes in CS5. here is the result (the file was too big for the forum) : http://www.mediafire.com/?ynkpwwcdiab9a5x

Distance between lake village and Forest village should be : 2 suu.
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-22-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Guild Member

I'm in a total stall... I don't know much about what to do. I know te basic layout. Maybe featuring a whole world with details was too big ? Shall I make the map a polical map ? It would be easier and I can do maps of specifics places that I'll put before each chapter so the reader know where is the chapter taking place ? What do you think of it ?

I'm taking a rest for today, I've been working way over what my doctor told me what I should be doing those days.

Mika.

Take a break mika, you've done well. My apologies, when I said put in the cities / mountains / forests rivers roughly, I didn't mean draw them as full artwork, but just indicate where they are on a layer.

The style of map is up to you, but as a guide, usually the style of map chosen reflects the technology of your fantasy world. So if you are doing something far future the map might look very technical, if your world is low technology then usually people will choose to go for a look which is hand drawn. I think your idea of making a map of the whole world (with less detail) for the cover and maps of specific places before each chapter is a good one. If you make the world map detailed enough, you could even just use sections of it in your chapter maps.

Post when you're ready and we will go to the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I've just noticed that you're the person I did the datapad thing for.... is this the same project? That was science fiction and this one is much more fantasy/history
    I frequently do more archaic maps for my sci-fi campaign. Sure, "datapads" are all over the place, but there's still a place for the little handdrawn "you are here" maps(although these will be of fairly uniform low quality) archeological discoveries, and sometimes just... antiques. Also you may have landed on Nuva Kamalot on a space ship, doesn't mean the low tech <strike>mud scum</strike> natives have access to a computer.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast