Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Urcys

Guild Member

I do think of it as highly enjoyable. And I do need to do maps for my story.
    I can't always relies on other's kindness / financial request to get my own maps for my own worlds. My best take is that I need to find a process that skips the things I am absolutely awful at. Perhaps If I had a blanck CC3 project to use, I would be able to use that, I'm searching a way to get my shortcomings fixed... T-T.

I can understand the overall process, the problem is that my hands don't work properly, so I can do beautiful basic drawings... that's my main problem here ^^'.

Guild Member

Okay, I gave a new go at it. It took me quite some while, but here is what I have now (points are possible towns, not all will be used !), hope it's getting better ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Layered Map.psd  

Guild Member

Wip

Well, I think that I'm getting the hand of it... Now I could even add some details in that look quite nice :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layered Map.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	33855  

Guild Member

Cooking with gas ? No, I cook with my micro-wave , You asked me the distance between two towns ; On the lower part, there is a fort-like symbol and a town in the forest, they're 3 horse day (considering they sleep at night, don't overtire the horse and aren't some lazy bums who sleep on the way). I'm still trying to know how many miles and kilometers that makes them from each other, if you can help me regarding the scale, I'd be glad please ?

If you consider the time it took me to just do that part, I'd say the map should be ready and fully done for next year. As it is, I used : Mapgen and Photoshop CS5 (from master suite).

Mika.

PS : I was once asked by a friend why someone who draw like she had two left hand possess that many drawing / mapping / art softwares, let me say that when you need to make beautiful background for autograph, books covers and such they come in very, very, very handy. Ever tried to make a rainbow with paint ? (I had to make a rainbow on the sheet I was signing on at my las autograph session (was for a charity association) and things like this occurs quite often !
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-23-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've always went by the 30 leagues per day thing, about 90 miles or 144 km, on horse maximum. We had a whole thread on realistic distances 2 years ago but I can't find it. But anyway, 100 miles a day on horse (160 km) seems like pushing it, 50 miles per day (80 km) seems ok, and 25 miles per day (40 km) is downright leisurely. Then terrain factors in like hills, no roads, mud, forest, careful travel because of highwaymen, etc. As a general rule I don't put big towns any closer together than a hundred miles but everyone has their own idea so you can make it whatever you want. You know it's 3-days ride so at most it's 300 miles and at least 75 miles (480 km and 120 km) if the terrain is flat and easy. Rough terrain would be much shorter.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    100 miles a day on horse (160 km) seems like pushing it,
    At this rate, I give the horse about 3 days of lifespan if you don't change horse every day.

50 miles per day (80 km) seems ok,
    Seems more like what I had in mind when I said 3 days.

and 25 miles per day (40 km) is downright leisurely.
    If my messenger was doing this, then I'd say he would take the door with a kick to help him get out faster.

Those two towns are 140 km away from each other.
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-23-2011 at 05:50 PM.

If my messenger was doing this, then I'd say he would take the door with a kick to help him get out faster.
    ha ha!!

The figures for horse travel that I have (all taken from the internet) are very close to Ascension's.

Believe me, it's all about practice, you will be very surprised how fast you will be able to work the more you repeat the process. Do you have a tablet and pen, or are you doing this all with a mouse?

I can make your life with trees much easier. Check out (do a search) 'The tree thing' by Ramah on this site. It is a java application which will put individual little trees down for you.

Guild Member

With a wonderful 3 years old mouse ! Fact is, a tablet wouldn't be of much help. When I say I have two left hand I mean it seriously. A tablet would be useless to me, err well, it might at best be looking good on my desk. There are things that people can't do, and I am one who can't do something pretty when it come to drawing.

Handling brushes, featuring stories, finding names for a map... that's more my area than making them ^^. Which reminds me of a client who went to me last year, he had a map, (very well drawn, made by hand with ink on high quality paper) and he brought my services to create a whole story going on with the map he gave me. I was heartbroken to give the map back when I had finished my job, but that's how life goes on

Mika.
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-23-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast