Thread: Can I use PNG files in Photoshop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There are some programs that use PNGs as their native files and you can use layer in them like Fireworks (which is also from Adobe now) but Photoshop doesn't support Layers in PNG files and will only open it as a 'flat' unlayered image. It does keep any transparency information from the PNG though so that's a bonus.

I think that Adobe wants to keep the Fireworks product going and if Photoshop could open up these layered PNG files and keep all the options then Fireworks would cease it's usefulness.

Are the PNG files you're trying to open Layered PNGs (and so Photoshop is opening them flattened)? Or is Photoshop not opening them at all?
    The ongoing sketchpad - Craig's Sketchpad (NEW)
    Design and web services - CJ Productions
    All the latest at my personal blog - Craig John
    Photoshop Training Podcast - Graphic Basics (currently on hold)

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by craggles View Post
    Are the PNG files you're trying to open Layered PNGs (and so Photoshop is opening them flattened)? Or is Photoshop not opening them at all?
    That's my problem! I don't know how to open PNGs into Photoshop. See my Program line! I do admit to being a Gimp and Photoshop Luddite! Nominally, I'd like to open a few PNG files for inclusion in my city maps. For instance, if I wanted to use the following PNG of a church, how do I got about first opening it in PS and then situating it in the right spot on the map?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple04_100x70SLA.png 
Views:	921 
Size:	890.2 KB 
ID:	33898