Thread: Creating maps for performing arts planning (and other dynamic environments)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not knowing much about the changes that the performing arts are going through at the moment, I'm a little lost as to what sort of map you want to produce (maybe an infographic?). Presumably we are not talking about geographical territory?

Welcome to the guild, btw.

Thanks for the welcome! I am not sure what kind of map it would be. There are economic, non-economic and invisible elements that are place / context specific. City of Birmingham Symphony (England) and Seattle Symphony would have shared as well as distinct elements. Each has a physical, socio-economic structure as well as a distinct territory. What are the elements of data and phenomenon that tells the story, that gives voice to the elements of place and context? Are these the right questions to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyGosen View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I am not sure what kind of map it would be. There are economic, non-economic and invisible elements that are place / context specific. City of Birmingham Symphony (England) and Seattle Symphony would have shared as well as distinct elements. Each has a physical, socio-economic structure as well as a distinct territory. What are the elements of data and phenomenon that tells the story, that gives voice to the elements of place and context? Are these the right questions to ask?
    IMO those are the right questions. Have a look at this site: http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/
    There are any number of ways to display information and once you have decided the nature of the information you wish to display and the relationships between elements of that information, you should start getting an idea of how it should all be presented.