Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Painting or Computer Painting?

If you look at any of my map designs from the last 2.5 years, I prefer to do hand-drawn linework with pen that is digitally scanned, imported to my graphics app of choice (Xara Xtreme Pro 4), then all coloring and effects are done with software. The linework captures the illustrative hand-drawn feel to my maps and sets the tone of the overall map. The hybrid digital work I add afterwards reveal a 3D-ish quality to emphasize what is on the ground and what is above it, as well as elevation in terrain. While I could try to do the aftereffects as hand-drawn work as well - my goal is speed, since I have many maps to create for my own projects and for commissions.

The linework provides all the hand-drawn artistry I need - I don't have to do it all by hand to achieve the look I want, in fact it would be tougher to accomplish as all hand work (and for me, wasted time consumption).

Whatever workflow works best for you will be acquired over time. You'll find what you like the best, or which best gives you the look you want.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12