Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Regional practice

The hills and cultivated lands are very good. I like the grasslands too but the scale seems somehow out, possibly because the coastline seems one more in keeping with a depiction at a continental/world scale whereas the mountains, hills, marshland (really good BTW), etc. are more at the regional scale. Following the progress with great interest though, and not a little envy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Had some time finally so I finished up the terrain. Next up I'll be thinking of what and how to do things like caves, towns, etc. So far everything is drawn with the default 5 or 9 pixel hard round brush except the rivers (used the 13 there). Not sure about the ice in the middle top but no other ideas for it either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-10.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	34676  
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-27-2011 at 11:00 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A, this is looking absolutely amazing. I'm positive the finished piece will be breathtaking.

Seconded, it already looks so beautiful. This is one to watch alright.
    Regards,

RK

OK, so I brain-farted and saved the smaller flattened jpg as the psd so this one might be a while before I come back and finish it up. Since this is for practice I just started a new one in order to practice the things I want to practice, If it turns out well then I'll try to go back and finish the other one.

Name:	Untitled-10.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	34897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	34898  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

This ia realy cool! I love linework and details (swamped tree absolutly wonderful)!

But little piece of critics - coastline in south can be more plain with smaller amount of ilands. Rugged coastlines done by movement of glaciers in some old past of world. So, most of it in north.
    Last edited by Sergei Zybin; 04-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Ah, good point, forgetting my own advice. Thanks, man but too late. Thought I'd hit y'all with a quick screenie before I go to bed.

Views:	434 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	34909  
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-07-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Took me a while to find a better forest style, one that fits the mountains better. I tried big, over-sized trees in an illustrative, realistic style but they were almost as large as the mountains. I tried individual trees but the shadows became overpowering and annoying. I tried my usual style but it was lacking something. I tried the Fragless style but it didn't fit here. So I spent like a whole night on each different style only to scrap it until I eventually hit on this style and thought it was pretty cool until I realized that it looked like 18th19th century bird's-eye city maps - but that style rocks so I'll take it. It's not fast, which is what I wanted, but it looks pretty good - that whole section took me most of Saturday afternoon and night. Today, I worked on the banners and went through all of my fonts, settled on Bouwsma Uncial, while watching The Masters. The outer glow on the text is just a place-holder for now, I'll rectify this at the end. Then I went over and played with the gift that I bought my niece for her 11th birthday (Wii U-Draw) and helped her learn how to use it - to which she promptly told me to step off so that she could just experiment with it (yeah, she's just like me). Then I hung the dragon poster that I drew and we both crayoned last week when she had a sick day and came to my workshop. I'm one of those guys who is always hot so I've been telling her for years that I have dragon blood and now she's starting to always be hot as well. Heh heh. Who knows, maybe she'll be posting here in a few years, she's far more diverse than I was at that age (I just drew hot rods).

Views:	474 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	34999  
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-10-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Excellent work! I really love the feel of this one.
    Regards,

RK

Those trees are gorgeous, and the icons for buildings are also really sweet. The whole style, as you said, rocks. And yeah, get your niece's stuff up on here, we can all encourage her until she is better than you!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast