Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Regional practice

Blog Entries

Loving the look of that, Ascension. Your new trees look lovely. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's where I am tonight. Added a canyon, desert, scrubland/chapparal, some cacti, forests getting quicker (not so tedious as I was expecting). This is 50% size. So far just using the 9 pixel hard round for coasts, 5 pixel hard round for main lines, and 3 pixel hard round for details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-11.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	35053  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Ascension, I want to eat your brain and steal all your talent.

I'll second that.
    Regards,

RK

Ay, check it out...we got zombies here. Heh heh. You'd better have a big desert 'cuz what's between my ears is fairly small and very scrambled (according to my exes). Seriously though thanks, guys.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

Nah, it's cool, I had a big lunch.

Very awesome indeed, I only have a couple things I've noticed. First the shadows cast by your community/building markers are a little off putting since it distracts from the details. I don't know if a change in angle or opacity will help or not. The parchment bases is awesome but unfortunately it looks overexposed in many spots when photographed and can be off putting. the can canyon in the south is it a fissure in the land where sea water drains into or is it a river bed that eventually meets the sea thats not visible due to size of the canyon. Aside from this very well done and really look forward to the end product. Just curious are using black line work simply set to grain merge?
    Last edited by geamon; 04-13-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

I love your art, but I'm finding this expanded version to be too busy. I thought your original map in this thread was also going the same way. The foothills around the mountains in the SW for instance, there just seems too many of them. Having 50% of that number or even less but just spaced out more would convey the same area without looking like they are squeezed in.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I wasn't particularly fond of the hills in the bottom left (looks like a little army of hills marching in step) so I'll probably take many of them out and put some trees in there to make up the space. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I was just letting it slide. Maybe I can put some mesas in there for practice. The shadows; I have to change color to something oranger and lighter because simply reducing opacity makes the brown look gray. I originally had them on an angle but it just looked weird. I was planning to tweak these once I get down to really placing the towns but I guess I need to address it now instead of later if I'm going to keep putting up these updates. By the way, no black at all except for the town sketches, using a dark brown with a slightly more orange outer glow. The canyon...maybe I'll pull it back away from the sea a little bit but yes, it is a river. The parchment is just one of the coyotemax ones set to hard light and I kinda like the look, shrug. We'll see at the end how things turn out but for now it stays...that's one of those little tweak things I do once I get all of the hard work done. Thanks for pointing things out so that I can work on 'em...I was being lazy on the hills (bad me). Ok, off to tweak now.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast