Thread: Notch (creator of Minecraft) has started explaining his Procedural map generation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah I guess what he is doing is not exactly world building with lego is it. One of the things I needed in mine but I would have also thought would have been good in his too tho is where you can tie up two peoples creations in blocks together and make the hierarchy. So that by adding more and more peoples creations you from a collection of buildings to a town and then many towns to a world. So once he is heading down that road he will encounter the same kinds of problems.

If you want blocks of 1cm then you might as well go for a height map. Ok so he can do holes and caves but man, have you seen the memory footprint for 3D solid block models ??? Obviously adding one more dimension really multiplies it. I am not at all surprised he has a 128 block limit going skyward.

In the near future I am going to be posting something quite relevant to real time world building so keep your eye out for it - probably on my blog I expect.

NINJA: Ahh - looks like Monks has beaten me to it...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post147148
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-11-2011 at 01:27 PM.